Author Topic: Plunger seat mounts?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Plunger seat mounts?
« on: 08.02. 2011 22:33 »
Hi Plunger owners,
I'm fiitting a dual seat on my A7 '55 plunger; I've an original seat base and all three seat brackets;
front - 679089, rear left 67-9094 and right 67-9093 as shown in the BSA Service Sheet below.

Q1 - Which way do the rear brackets face (no numbers on them)?
The seat seems to fit best with the large lower curve of the rear bracket facing forwards (photo of leLHS bracket below??).

But that locates the seat's front bracket at Hole 1 (in the diagram below) 7/16ths
Q2 Should it mount at this point?

The problem is the front seat bracket is too narrow to fit by 1/4" at this location which seems incorrect (I have two of these brackets and both are the same; one is NOS).

Is the way I'm trying to fit it correct??

Cheers
RoadRuner

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
Re: Plunger seat mounts?
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2011 23:39 »
Roadrunner

My duel seat front bracket fits to hole 2 on your pic. The frame fixing studs ie where your trying to fit is for the single seat. See attached pic of my rear brackets during build.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #2 on: 09.02. 2011 09:03 »
Hi RoadRunner

I will attache a couple of photos of my unrestored 1957 seat base. You will note the bolt holes have been BODGED for ease of removal ?

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2011 09:05 »
Me Again

The photos were too big to post together, Take two. If you need more pls. PM me

Pato
Australia

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2011 16:57 »
Thank Stu & Pato;

The pics should resolve my queries!
The location of the front mount (hole 2) explains why the front seat bracket doesn't quite fit Hole 1 and nice to know that the rear brackets have the large curve facing backwards!

With the front bracket located at Hole 2 should there be any spacers/bushes between the frame and f/bracket and presumably a 5/16" stud?
===============================================================================
UPDATE:
Just tried locating the seat bracket at hole two - this makes the rear brackets about an inch short from their locating hole.

Stu are using the same front bracket as in the BSA manual as in my post or the left one shown below??

Pato - which hole in the frame does your front bracket locate (hole 1 or 2 as in my diagram) and which sort of tank are you intending to use?

Beginning to think that I may have a problem trying to fit a dual seat with older type (rigid?) tank I'm using which slopes at the rear??

Has anyone got a rigid with dual seat fitted and original tank - be helpful to know which holes and brackets they're using??

Cheers

RR

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2011 08:40 »
Sorry RoadRunner

The pic you see in my avitar is how my bike looks, I won't be putting it together till my return to OZ in July.

Pato
Australia

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2011 09:40 »
Hole #1 is the join between front and rear frame sections, and is also used for dual seat mount
Hole #2 is for single seat front mount (Hence grease nipple),
Hole #3 is tank mount.
Here is one I just went and took a pic of. Sorry about the quality, was a quick snap on iPhone ;)

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2011 09:45 »
There is not enough light to show you the underside at rear, but here it is on the bike... Remember I just ran donw to the shed with iPhone to get these pics so not alot of detail...

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #8 on: 10.02. 2011 13:27 »
Hi,
Pato, good luck in July  - bet you can't wait to get stuck in?

Thanks BSA_Newbie,
Thank you for all your effort in providing the info/pics - most helpful in that it looks like you have the same type of tank as mine and same front bracket - I'm asuming from your pic the front bracket is same as the BSA diagram one. Sort of confirms, much to my relief, that I can use this tank with dual seat together (phew - got enough spares off  BSA.........).

As for the rear brackets I assume these mount with the large curve facing the rear (soon tell once I try to fit them no doubt!).

THe only thing that is still puzzling me is the front bracket (679089 as in the BSA diagram) is too narrow by about 1/4" and I've two of these (both are the same width).  *conf* I've had one re-folded to make it wider so it fits but just would really like to know whether I've got two of the same brackets off a different model or do they all need bending outwards (surely not?).

Oh, how many bike have you got?? Looks like a right collect you've got there *smile*

Thanks for nipping out to the shed for the pics - much appreciated

Cheers

RoadRunner

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #9 on: 10.02. 2011 18:58 »
Roadrunner

I am using the front seat bracket on the left.

Cheers

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #10 on: 11.02. 2011 09:24 »
RoadRunner

I measured mine and the front is five and one eighth inside of bracket, and rear is six and a half. In sayiny that the front has had some crazy bending done to it as seen in the photo.

Pato
Australia

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #11 on: 11.02. 2011 13:27 »
Thanks Pato,
Just measured my f/bracket and its 3.5" inside the lower front holes - bit of a difference compared with yours, but mine doesn't fit - yet!

I'll just have wait until I get my tank back and try all the options with the seat again.

Cheers
RoadRunner