Author Topic: Pushrod question - problems starting new engine  (Read 11012 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Re: Pushrod question - problems starting new engine
« Reply #90 on: 02.03. 2011 07:25 »
Hi Duncan,
Agree with Nigel, something else to divert from frustation is always handy.. Mind you last week when I thought I'd have a "break" from the A10 I thought I'd get the back wheel out of the B33.. It's a QD type so...  Damn thing won't come out, would you believe it! *eek*

A mate reckons there's a rubber seal in there that's probably old & stuck. Sometimes you just can't win !!!! 
Keep at it, you'll get there - good luck....

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #91 on: 02.03. 2011 11:46 »
If the pushrod came out there must be a reason. Do I remember you saying there was a sticky valve?

You'll get there eventually.

Alternatively I'll give you £100 for it.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #92 on: 02.03. 2011 15:35 »
Thanks for the encouragment everyone,

Being a bit cold to work outside, I am stuck in a 8x6 shed which don't help, its impossible to keep the work area clear.

All the valves move nice and smoothly in the guides and new springs fitted. I am assuming the rockers are all correct (side float taken up with springs) The tappet adjusters sit central on top of the valve stems.

I have now bought a set of long tweezers and a magnet on a stick and will have another go at the week end. Main thing is it runs on 2 cylinders and starts first kick with a gentle prod of the kickstarter (until the rod jumped out)
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Alan @Ncl

• Greenflash
  • A's Good Friend
  • Newcastle on Tyne, UK
« Reply #93 on: 02.03. 2011 16:04 »
Sounds like good progress to me Duncan.  I am both impressed and envious (as I have given up for now on my related problems, and am waiting for warmer weather).

Alan

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #94 on: 02.03. 2011 19:45 »
Hi Alan,

I was getting impatient, but I am not too bothered now, the weather is still pants, so whats the rush. You could always send your mag off for a test whilst you are waiting. I still don't know what the problem was, which is worrying, its nice to know what the cause was so you can be certain you cured it. Hope the warmer weather arrives soon so you can get your bike running.

Cheers

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #95 on: 11.03. 2011 15:21 »
Its all back together and running. Sounds sweet enough, starts first kick and idles perfectly.

Tomorrow I will take it out for a road test - bring on the oil leaks!

I am running cheap 20/50 oil for the initial run and I will change it after 50 miles for some SAE 40, do you think that is ok ?

I will report back tomorrow, so fingers crossed

Cheers

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Alan @Ncl

• Greenflash
  • A's Good Friend
  • Newcastle on Tyne, UK
« Reply #96 on: 11.03. 2011 18:12 »
Great news Duncan.  Well done.  It must be a great feeling. Did you ever decide definitively what the problem was?

I have been diverted onto other matters recently but will be having another go with mine when the weather warms up a bit.  Hope to re able to report back with news like yours in due course.

Alan

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #97 on: 11.03. 2011 18:29 »
Thanks Alan,

Its a relief to have some sort of result, I will be happier if I can get a few miles on it first. I still don't know what the problem was. All I can think is I managed to get the pushrods on the LH cylinder in the wrong followers which resulted in valve timing being miles out. The engine ran before re-build so I can see no other reason than my mechanical incompetence!

Hope to hear some good news on yours soon

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #98 on: 11.03. 2011 20:00 »
Well done Duncan, wish I could get mine out and about, weather men are talking snow again, I'm back at work (although time out whenever I want) not enough hours in the day but ONE OF THESE DAYS  *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #99 on: 13.03. 2011 19:50 »
Hi Duncan,
Have read the tale of woe and trouble you have been experiencing. Regarding the low compression readings and the pushrod displacement from the rocker arm. I have experienced a similar problem which was caused by my "sealed" tank becoming contaiminated by ethanol in the fuel. Basically I had my tank chromed, painted and sealed. Fuel was added to the tank and the bike started and ran fime. After the fuel had been in the tank for a month or so it had attacked the sealer which went un noticed. Two miles from home after a full rebuild she went on to one cylinder. I limped home, confirmed sparks were ok then checked the tappets to find a push rod out of its cup. I knew I had fitted it correctly (I have had the bike since 1967). Once the head was off I could see the inlet valve had stuck in the open position causing the pushrod to disengage with its rocker cup. Check inside your fuel tank to see if the inside is sticky / tacky if it is it's a sign that if your tank has been sealed its being attacked by the modern fuel containing ethanol.

Check out my earlier posting in "New member Melksham"
Regards

Des

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #100 on: 14.03. 2011 09:57 »
Hi Des,

I am sure that no sealant has ever been used in this tank as it is an Indian replica tank. I bought the bike when I worked in India in the 90's and the tank was brand new. No sign of any gunge when I stripped the valves out. I can only assume the cheap compression tester I bought is actually rubbish (Bill had similar low readings from his when he tried his) I think I just made a complete mess of the push rod assembly first time round

I have not managed to get the bike out yet as it was raining yesterday, not ideal conditions for a test run.

Cheers

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS