Author Topic: fitting a later A10 clutch to an earlier model  (Read 773 times)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
I've a 1955 A10 in Kenya. Its and ex south African ceremonial police bike. It was dismantled a number of years  ago and I acquired it in two instalments. I had a later scrap A10, that  donated some missing parts and I?m fairly close to getting it all back  together. I have a  questions regarding the clutch as I?ve used the  clutch from the later A10.
The clutch I'm fitting is the type with the 4 adjusting screws on the pressure plate. (Item 1 on the attached scan) When I removed it from the later bike, I don't remember seeing a back plate. (Item 39 on the attached scan). I can't find anything in the text of the manual to say there is a backplate required for the clutch I'm fitting.
Any thoughts?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: fitting a later A10 clutch to an earlier model
« Reply #1 on: 11.02. 2011 12:37 »
There is none on the 4 spring clutch.
On the 6 spring the clutch basket moves in & out as you clutch & declutch which is why the outer bearing ring is flat & not groved.
On later versions the basket dose not move in & out so no need for the backing plate.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Re: fitting a later A10 clutch to an earlier model
« Reply #2 on: 11.02. 2011 12:42 »
Thanks Trevor, its sort of what thought although what a brilliant thing this forum is that I can ask that and have an answer in a couple of hours.
Many thanks
Guy