Author Topic: 52 A7 Star Twin gearbox marking ??? L ????  (Read 864 times)

Offline te_52A7

• Moving Up
52 A7 Star Twin gearbox marking ??? L ????
« on: 12.02. 2011 21:38 »
Hi Guys, another curly one. I am just about to start pulling down the gearbox on this and have looked all over it and the only stamped markings I can see is an 'L' marked on the top where I assume the 'std' or otherwise normally is stamped and a 20B on the mounting tab (where the bolt goes through). can anyone shed any light on this I have been unable to find any reference to this L anywhere and I am expecting to have to find parts for it shortly......(I am an optimist...really)     Todd

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: 52 A7 Star Twin gearbox marking ??? L ????
« Reply #1 on: 13.02. 2011 05:51 »
BSA used the same splines and shaft sizes on just about all their boxes from 1910 to 1962.
Internally the gears are all interchangable so you will not have any problems with parts.
The only big difference is weather the shafts have bearings or bushes and that only affects diameter of the shaft .
Thus the T or T2 stamping.
Anything else is just a coding for the actual gear set, like the 3 digit suffix on the carbs is coding for the jet set and will not give you any grief.
Just count the number of teeth on each gear if you are going to replace any of them.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.02. 2011 20:25 »
Todd,
            I am inclined to think that the letters are inspection marks.
You will find them all over the engine and frame.
Trev.

Offline te_52A7

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 16.02. 2011 08:52 »
Thanks for the reply guys. It is good to know that they are mainly common items, so I'll do as suggested and just count the teeth for the various gears and not fret the markings.....Todd