Author Topic: Matching numbers?  (Read 4991 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Re: Matching numbers?
« Reply #15 on: 14.02. 2011 16:00 »
Hi Guys,
Don't like the sound of where this is heading!
But best to know in advance I guess - saves adding to my collection of parts that don't fit/match or even wrong bike ;)

The headlight area does have a nacelle and did have a old style police fairing fitting (just been removed), there's no full length fork shrouds visible, it has gaiters which may be over the shrouds??

The speedo is a Smiths but not one I've seen before - pardon the description - it looks like a simplified version, the face isn't like my regular A7 type?
The m/guards aren't there either - just some old alloy bits made up, I presume it should have full valanced guards with the usual stays or did some A10's get chromed sporty guards??

Anyway not parting with cash until I know more.. thanks again for the info, by the end of this I'll owe a few beers.
Ummmmm...... slighty less enthusiastic now...

RoadRunner

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #16 on: 14.02. 2011 17:12 »
Hmmm, beer.... now you're talking.....
This bike sounds like a challenge if you want it to look anything like BSA intended... !!
Here's a couple of photos, I'm sure others will have better ones but in the meantime.. First is the 1954-57 "Diving Helmet" type (my B33), second is the A10 nacelle fitted from 1958 onwards.. Some bikes had a much more attractive separate headlamp (Super Rocket etc) but these two types are the more common:-

Hope this helps.. Keep it up, we're dying to see more of this project!!

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 14.02. 2011 21:24 »
RoadRunner,

This is sounding more like a project that's going to run away with some cash.  As well as a complete renovation it will need a host of parts over and above a normal restoration.  Unless it's reasonably cheap I would think good and hard about it and even then, only if the paperwork matches up.

Sorry if this seems like doom and gloom but I'm just trying to be realistic!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #18 on: 14.02. 2011 21:37 »
Hi Beezageezauk,

Thanks (and I do mean that in a +ve way) - and I'm inclined to agree, been there before and still yet to finish my first project which has cost an absolute stack of beer beans! But it's looking good  *smiley4*.

The more I learn about this 'original' '56/8 GF the less I'm inclined to part with any money - would be good for spares at the right price but doubt it go for a realistic price. So I really appreicate everyone's honest opinions. I'll see what response I get to my offer!

Cheers
RoadRunner  *conf*

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #19 on: 14.02. 2011 21:54 »
Agree with beezageeza UK on this I'm afraid..

A 1956 bike should look like this 1957 one, recently on ebay (Ebay no: 180625613193 )

Cheers,
Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 15.02. 2011 08:18 »
Hi RR,For my 51 A7 has  I got a dating certificate from the BSAOC and it states that the engine is the original item for that frame.It also says that the original colour was black and it came with sidecar gearing and also the exact date of first registation. So it may be worth paying the £10 if your are not a member (£5 For members) and get a dating cert.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #21 on: 15.02. 2011 08:45 »
Cheers Howard,
Sounds like a good plan so if I decide or get the chance to buy at the right price I'll do that.
Just a waiting game now I guess  *eek*

RoadRunner ???