Author Topic: Replacement Battery  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
Replacement Battery
« on: 16.02. 2011 16:18 »
Spent a bit of time this week doing pre-season checks on the RGS rep and found the battery was dead. Tried an Optimate revival without success, so Googled for a replacement.

The battery is a YB3L-B hidden inside an old type battery case and is only there as a back-up really. It is also handy at MOT time for the lighting tests etc, but the bike is not normally used after dark.

I came across this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motobatt-Motorcycle-Battery-CB3L-B-YB3L-B/dp/B004EE4KDQ and couldn't believe my eyes. Now I have always been of the 'you only get what you pay for' train of thought so I Googled the manufacturer and got quite a few reviews that, on the whole, were positive.

The seller is Amazon whom I have used for many years for all kinds of purchases and found them to have excellent after sales service. The manufacturer has not been going for that long, about 2 years I think, but they seem to have a good reputation so far.

Anyone heard of or had any experience of Motobatt?
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Replacement Battery
« Reply #1 on: 16.02. 2011 16:34 »
I fancy a punt at £2.99 so had a look on Ebay to see a bit more, they are on there for £29.99, I'm thinking misprint.

Well further to the above I put them in my Amazon basket to see what price they came up as, lo and behold £2.99, also found a compression tester kit (boxed with with several adapters and bits) for £7.59, now I do have a compression tester but the hose on it is blown and looks a bit dodgy in other places so I reckon by I buy a bit of hose and clips it's not worth fixing or maybe fix it and flog it.

of course there is postage and I need to keep a close eye on my current account, but perhaps we've been in the right place at the right time for once, or maybe not *conf*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.02. 2011 21:20 »
Just ordered from Amazon, £2.99 with free delivery   *eek* !!!!!!!!!!!!!! got to be a mistake, wonder if it will actually be delivered.
Col.

RGS Rep.
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.02. 2011 23:59 »
Seems its changed now to 19.99+2.99 pp
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.02. 2011 06:50 »
Is there (or maybe was there) some law about an advertised price being binding. don't know about mail order though, but I once bought a printer by telephone that had been advertised at the wrong price and they honoured the stated price, so watch this space
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 17.02. 2011 11:06 »
If you read more than the sports pages you might have heard that several battery factories in China had been closed down early this year.
One of them had been offering me batteries for as low as $2.00 US ex wharf ( had to buy them in 1000's ) so expect to see a lot of cheap battery deals. And as the factory was closed down & the owners shot for poisioning the city and defying the instruction to close down last year I would not expect that they will not be the beast quality and there is a very low chance of a waranttee claim.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.02. 2011 11:29 »
In Uk the warranty is with the supplier not the manufacturer, but at £2.99 it's hardly worth sending them back.
All the best - Bill

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 17.02. 2011 14:35 »
Got an email today from Amazon stating the following -

"We're writing to inform you that your order from Mad4Bikes has been cancelled by the seller with the following reason: - 

The item(s) you purchased were out of stock. Please return and attempt to purchase the item again at a later time.

The order was re-directed to 'Amazon Marketplace' and a company called Mad4Bikes. They have told Amazon that the battery is 'out of stock' "

Also got this email from Mad4Bikes -

"Good morning,
unfortunately due to a stock error this battery is no longer available for the forseeable future. All monies will be refunded through the Amazon system.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Regards
Halyna
MAD4BIKES"

So thats that then, not supprised it was an obvious mistake.  :!

Col.

RGS Rep.
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.02. 2011 16:08 »
So thats that then

Probably but not without a bit of a fight.

I have replied to say I do not accept the reason given for the cancellation and stated what I think the real reason for the cancellation is (wrongly priced)
Actually I would have been more sympathetic to them if they had just come out and said that was the reason.

When in the Chinese market do what the Chinese do - haggle
All the best - Bill

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 18.02. 2011 11:43 »
Spoken like a true scotsman.
Bore it up them, mate
cheers

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 18.02. 2011 16:11 »
I've had a reply,  vaguely muddying the waters as to who I should be writing to (the old run around routine), It's Amazons market place so it's them I'll bother
All the best - Bill