Author Topic: What are the chances of my bike being stolen ? Alarm disengaged.  (Read 952 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Best Friend
Hi guys,I´ve been offered an electrical alarm which when connected operates  a siren sound (120db)when the bike is slightly moved.I´ve been offered this device half price e50.At first I thought yes,but now I´m not so sure,if somebody really wanted to steal my A10,they´d have the knowhow how to disgingage the alarm,even if hidden.So why question,how often are oldtimer bikes stolen,bearing in mind,most riders invest in heavy preventive measures.Would this alarm really make a diffrence,whats the general view ? Should I or should I not buy the alarm ?
ho ho ho

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Old bikes get stolen all the time.
As to whether they get stolen where you live, ask other motorcyclists and the police.
Is there a high proportion of toerags in your area?
Here, my friends laugh at me for insuring my bike against theft, and they leave their bikes parked with their helmets hanging off the handlebar.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
IMO alarms won't stop anybody except a very inexperienced opportunist. Anybody serious will ignore it. Have you ever heard a car alarm going off? Did you call the police? No, I didn't think so.

Substantial locks and hardened chains attaching the bike to a concreted in ground anchor will deter people but at the end of the day if someone really wants it they'll find a way to have it.

I speak as something of an expert having had at least half a dozen bikes stolen over the last 40 years or so. The first one was a Model 18 Norton which I just used to leave on full advance under the fond hope that no-one would be able to start it.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
I think an awful lot of luck comes into this along with sods law of course. Secure it right up and it'll probably get stolen... Leave it unsecured and it'll probably be all right. There! that makes it easier for you doesn't it?

How are you getting on with the crash bars? fitted yet?

LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Best Friend
Hi LJ,had terrible trouble getting the paint colour to match the bike.Am now on the 4th attempt.Was surprised how heavy they were,almost as heavy as my front ones from Brillux which are much larger,still very happy thanks (still awaiting a picture of your original BSA ones).cheers-steve
ho ho ho

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Hi Steve... Glad the bars are okay, I thought I had posted a picture of my original bars here somewhere, anyhow here is one from the Super Rocket that parted from me last autumn.

I'll try and remember to take some more photos of my A10 with them on tomorrow.

Cheers!
LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
The thing about theft is this, whatever you do to secure your bikes will only buy you time. If you leave a bike in your garage unlocked, a prof or opportunist thief will have it away in seconds. If however you chain it to several secure fixings, you delay the thief, the more chains you use the longer it will take to nick. The opportunist wont bother to tackle half a dozen hardened chains and locks.
Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
i think a base ball bat will do the trick one good blow will sort them out or do what the cowboys did when they had there horses stolen hang them all they
get these days is a slapped wrist 

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
That farmer Tony martin had the right idea.
Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300