Author Topic: old bike mart revelation  (Read 2258 times)

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: old bike mart revelation
« Reply #15 on: 03.03. 2011 15:25 »
According to section 13 (ie the one related to stoplights) of that link I posted above (official tester's manual):

"This [stop lamp] inspection applies to; all machines except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above."

My (admittedly 1991) version of the hard copy manual says the same.

In my experience, MoT testers often don't actually read the manual but assume they know the rules.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #16 on: 04.03. 2011 08:56 »
Regarding the insurance question,

I would seriously recommend telling insurance companies in writing of any "modification" or divergence from standard for the model insured. Obviously it won't be a problem until you wish to make a claim, but if they send an inspector to look at the damage / wreck, he will report it as modified and they WILL try to use that as a reason to declare your insurance cover null and void. Most policies have an obligation to advise the insurer of such matters and if you don't you are in breach and have given them a perfect excuse.

If it doesn't make any difference to your premiums then you haven't lost anything, if a premium goes up, at least you know you are covered in the event of a close experience with the rear end of a very expensive to repair BMW.
Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.03. 2011 12:46 »
My view is that for any machine of advancing years the consideration of ' "modification" or divergance (sic)' from standard becomes a ridiculous misnomer. My A10 is a bitza; it never really did exist. My MG V50 II has fitted to it whatever I can find to keep it going. I could attempt to list everything, but if I miss just a single item that could just as easily be the loophole that someone might want to use to pull the rug out from under me with.

It's just another case of modern rules only working for the norm. A bit like Road fund licence really.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #18 on: 04.03. 2011 16:56 »
I would imagine that an A10 built up of A10 parts an A10 engine in an A10 frame, in the eyes of an insurance company would be an A10.

I was writing in the context of modified bikes, for example running bikes with no lights on a daytime MOT. That is something the insurance companies need to know about. This morning I listened to a discussion on the BBC regarding vehicle insurance and insurance companies. The expert interviewed, who I assume knows more about this subject than most people here, stated exactly what I said below. Insurance companies can and will void a policy for the slightest reason or excuse; we have to be very careful, we have to tell them everything. We can not be at fault if we do.

If certain individuals know better or cant be bothered to write and enclose a few photos then that's up to them, it's their risk. But I hope that the point of the message was useful to the majority of members.

BTW Cyclobitch, thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. Very kind of you.

Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300