Author Topic: A65 Camplate  (Read 1927 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
A65 Camplate
« on: 26.02. 2011 14:34 »
A65 Camplate

I wanted to buy an OIF 1972 A65T just really to complete the story for the BSA twins. However, I have been told the gearbox is 1 down and 3 up AHHHHHHHHHH. Does any one know if this is correct and if so, is it possible to put in a reverse camplate?

Sorry for it not being directly an A10 question but they are closely related.

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: A65 Camplate
« Reply #1 on: 26.02. 2011 15:25 »
Nigel, Nigel, Nigel, one down and three up is perfectly fine. You'll get used to it real quick, especially since it's logical to lift the lever up to change up. Millions of bikers throughout the world can do it, so can you. My bikes even have their gear levers on different sides and it's no problem at all.
Switching from one bike to another is also not a problem since the bikes will feel very different anyhow within yards of leaving home and is representative of the evolution differences of the bikes anyhow. Changing an A65 to feel more like an A10 defeats your purpose. Enjoy the differences.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: 26.02. 2011 17:38 »
Hi Nigel,
Can't vouch for which way the A65 goes but you do get used to it... You'll make mistakes though occasionally!! My Laverda is one down and four up & you do have to remember which bike you're on.!
My two more modern bikes don't get used much but they're one down , four up but the gearchange is on the other side... This is generally ok apart from the occasional lapse of concentration which combined with a need to stop quickly can prove exciting..*eek*

Cheers,
Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 26.02. 2011 19:41 »
Guys,

Thanks for the reassurance. I must adamit that (usually) when I get it wrong on the A10 I hear the gearbox moaning even before I let the clutch out.  Will be Interesting to see if I can get my feet on the ground heard they are very high - perhaps a pair of 70's platform shoes (abba style) would come in handy *smiley4*

Couple of pics attached

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 26.02. 2011 20:37 »
G'day Nigel,
                like the others say, you get used to it. My Rhonda Whore is LF (left foot) 1 down 4 up. the Cafe is RF 1 down 3 up, the '51 A7 is RF 1 down 3 up. Makes for interesting first couple hundred yards!
Just did a google http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=37976
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 03.03. 2011 15:43 »
Two options if you really want 1up-3down: Put rearsets on it:  you flip the lever, which reverses the shift pattern or get a reverse camplate.  I made my own and I'm looking into making a batch if there's enough interest, but the quotes I've gotten, since it's a pretty complicated part to machine place it at about $100 in small batches.  This makes most people flinch....
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 03.03. 2011 18:38 »
Provided I can get an accurate drawing of the original,  I can get it into a CAD system, mirror it and have it laser cut. The quality of the finish is really good nowadays and would be a reasonable price. I am not sure but I might even be able to have an original plate scanned in.

Nigel

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 03.03. 2011 20:57 »
G'day Nigel,
Like the others say, you do get used to it, I had a Triumph T140v (similar to what you are looking for), I used jump on & no worries until I was a fair way into
the ride on some beautiful country road & then have to do a mental check as I approached the corner or intersection, didn't happen very often & was only gear
changes, not breaking. I will be interested to hear what you think of the OIF'er, my Trumpy was a super reliable bike & very smooth, but I was never happy with
the handling, & as you already know, you sit up a bit higher, doesn't quite feel right, I would never buy another OIF bike, just my opinion.

regards, Cus 
56 G/Flash project

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 04.03. 2011 13:50 »
Nigel, there's a little more to it than just mirroring it.  The index indents have to be relocated as well.  I have a solidworks of the one I've been running in my Royal Star commuter for over a year now if you're interested in getting some made.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 04.03. 2011 19:40 »
Hi Alex, Cus,

Do they all have the same camplate! If you are OK to share the CAD info, I will go and get a price for a batch.

Cus, I believe what you are saying but I have had a couple of nasty moments when rushing into a corner and changing down instead of up, been lucky so far. I also feel a bit sorry for the gearbox when I hear it screaming at me not to let the clutch out and lock up the back wheel. I never intended to buy an OIF but it was in such good condition I could not resist it. My first love is my plunger A10, sit nice and low feels like a tank and sounds faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic.

Nigel