Author Topic: Oil Filter Thread  (Read 1180 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Oil Filter Thread
« on: 11.03. 2011 10:48 »
If anyone is going to fit an oil filter inside their tool box and needs some fasteners to mount it to the back of the tool box, my oil filter top has 5/16" UNF threads, so don't assume that because the filter is new it will be metric and have what looks like M8 threads in it.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil Filter Thread
« Reply #1 on: 11.03. 2011 19:17 »
G'day Alan,
               are you talking of the spin on oil filter heads that you see on ebay. They are a copy of the Snorton Commical filter when most Pommie bikes had UNC/UNF threads. At least they weren't metric.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 12.03. 2011 13:23 »
Yep that's the type. Photo attached of the finished installation in the tool box. This is not a 1/2 hour job by the time you space the filter off the back face of the tool box to fit it low down and leave room for spare bulbs etc. and re-pipe the hoses. I did originally have the filter under the gearbox but it clouted on a speed bump (sleeping policeman). I really like this set up since it's completely out of sight, should have put it in there in the first place.

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #3 on: 12.03. 2011 13:36 »
Nice neat job, is that the electronic ignition and the back of the secret on/off switch in there as well!

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12.03. 2011 16:06 »
No Stu, the black box at the top is the voltage regulator. It's a V Reg 2 from A O Services which I fitted after the previous CMES unit which went AWOL.
The little switch at the left side is a simple on/off switch. You've reminded me I don't really know why I fitted it considering that it's wired to the main supply and not the ignition and the fuses protect the wiring in case of a short, so it's redundant. What I should do is rewire that switch to earth the magneto to act as an on/off switch to give a modicum of security. Will do.
Thanks for jogging me into action, now where did I put the wiring connector crimper?
Alan

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13.03. 2011 10:54 »
Hello world!

Look here for a picture of Alan's no-more-so-secret kill switch!!!  *lol*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #6 on: 13.03. 2011 12:48 »
Oh Yeh

Alan

Let us know where you the keep the bike overnight!

Stu

"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 13.03. 2011 16:23 »
OK Guys, I've now moved it to a secret place just under the............ hell, nearly had to move it again! *wave*
Nice run in the sun this morning, bike going well. I've been looking forward to saying that.