Author Topic: TLS brakes  (Read 4875 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: TLS brakes
« Reply #15 on: 08.09. 2009 19:59 »
Thanks Iain I'll look for a pair

All the best - bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.01. 2010 10:19 »
Adapting the '69 TLS brake & hub to fit A10 forks (clamp up axle type)...
I was unable to find enough actual nitty-gritty detail on the forum, so I thought it'd be a useful addition to describe how I've done it:
Best option (apart from getting a special axle turned up) seemed to be to use the TLS axle, not the A10 one (because it's too narrow).
The 'clearance slots' machined into the TLS axle for the fork studs are on 157mm centres, (I suspect my TLS/hub may be trumpy). The studs on the A10 forks are on 153mm C. (Brand new straight stanchions - can't guarantee the triple clamps, though they look right). This '153mm' would probably vary a bit on each individual machine. Don't be tempted to force the forks to fit slots.
So I machined a new axle slot on the LHS 4mm in from the existing slot so it would align with the fork studs. I extended the brakeplate lug on the fork slider 5mm and dressed it back later to fit.
When I assembled the hub and bearings I found the LHS bearing went 4mm further into the hub, all that's needed is an extra spacer outside the oil seal behind the circlip, (I used a spare RHS bearing backing ring 42-6329 'collar' - perfect dia and thickness).
The only prob with this arrangement is that the rim is offset to the LHS about 7mm, but as I'm lacing up a new rim, I'll just adjust the offset 3.5mm to centralise the rim between the fork legs.
I'll stop now... ;)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 30.01. 2010 20:37 »
bsa-bill when i had one on mine i put a spacer between the stay and plate

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 30.01. 2010 22:28 »
Cheers Rocket man, I did that but wasn't enough, I think the nipple I used was longer than original. ( borrowed from our workshop)
Bit the bullet and bought two lower stays with the kink in them, so both side look the same.

New problem though - I shortened the brake cable outer I had been supplied with as it was much to long, but now have too much inner - know what your thinking but honestly I did measure but when everything got stretched and settled in the outer is now too short ( relative to the inner ), overall the cable is too long.
Does anybody know the part number of a cable that would fit ( without brake switch)

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco