Author Topic: tank liner or not  (Read 1796 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
tank liner or not
« on: 16.03. 2011 21:20 »
Hi chaps,
Not far away from firing her up now , i have a pretty rust free non leaking steel  tank ready to fit which hasnt had fuel in for a long time and is bone dry inside. Therfore bearing in mind the ethanol issue would it be a good time or idea at all  to put in a tank sealer now.Also if it is, any recommendations on a particular one? It goes against my instincts to put any goo in a tank but bearing in mind ethanol content now and the planned increase im considering it.
Cheers Spyke.
A10 spitfire style

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: tank liner or not
« Reply #1 on: 17.03. 2011 01:40 »
Spyke I would say definitely do not use sealer in your tank if it is a good tank. I would only recommend using any of the tank sealers when there is absolutely no other option.

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #2 on: 17.03. 2011 07:02 »
Not.Keep well away from tank liners. If your tank is in good condition don't put yourself at risk. If you are concerned that the fuel will cause internal rusting due to ethanol hydrascopic effect drain it off if the bike is being stored for any length of time.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 17.03. 2011 08:22 »
As I posted elsewhere, 'ethanol resistant' does not mean 'ethanol proof'.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2011 10:03 »
I have always avoided tank sealers they are only a last resort. Go with the normal steel tank. We were told that lead free petrol was going to wreck our bikes - it has not. I am sure that ethanol will turn out to be not as bad as everyone thinks.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2011 11:59 »
I think it will be a lot worse than everyone thinks - especially if we are forced to use E10. There is another topic on the site discussing this and apparently a government commissioned report have come back and said that damage will occur to classic vehicles at 5% ethanol and has reccommended that E0 is made available.
My own experience include a leak in a float at the solder joint in one of the floats in my 1938 Wolseley resulting in fuel cascading down a hot engine, I know it is 73 years old and probably the original but seems to be a strange coincidence. Also fuel vapour locks in the copper fuel pipe which runs above the rocker box and links the two carbs.
On the A10, dissolved rubbers in the fuel taps and dissolved petseal in the tank.
The only solution seems to be to drain the tank if not being used for more than a few weeks.
Strangely enough while chatting to a 24 hour recovery / breakdown garage owner last week, he says he is seeing regular problems with cars with blocked fuel filters................

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2011 12:25 »
I think it will be a lot worse than everyone thinks - especially if we are forced to use E10.

I agree. This is yet another example of where legislation has been introduced without properly researching the consequences by people that have no technical knowledge, and who really don't care either. I really cannot see how things like corrosion of carburettor bodies can easily be resolved. Politicians only become interested in any topic when voters protest. Right now the classic vehicle movement is a red hot bed of apathy, and unless people are prepared to campaign vigorously the cause will be lost. Right now it is the green lobby that call the shots, and it is the green lobby that is influencing governments. Unless we collectively are prepared to be a lot more proactive and raise our profile we shall deservedly drown in a sea of apathy. We need to write to newspapers and the like to publicise our case. If we cannot be bothered to make ourselves heard, we can hardly complain if no one is listening.

John

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2011 13:42 »
Hi there
I was the one who raised the question about Ethanol problems and am still awaiting a reply from the transport secretary about our concerns, I have 2 bikes with lined tanks that I am in the process of changing to an Ethanol resistant type I would agree that I would not line a tank if it was not absolutely essential. You may not be aware that a company called Frost is selling an additive that is supposed to combat the corrosive effects of Ethanol it is called ETHOMIX and is £12.00  and is enough to treat 250 litres of petrol. I sent them an email asking for more info particularly if it woud stop Ethanol from dissolving tank liners but have had no reply, if a company is selling a product and you ask for more info and they do not bother to reply then I am afraid that I will treat their product with suspicion.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 17.03. 2011 16:31 »
lets start a petition and everyone put there names on it starting from now and also post some  info on other sites  so all us classic bike riders can be heard
lets do something about this before we all end up not being able to ride our bikes it must be stopped before it gets out of hand

dave

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.03. 2011 17:31 »
Hi All,
I have probably been on about some of the problem I have been experiencing already but the latest has been
fuel pipe collapsing after being on a bike for a week or so, This pipe was marked as suitable for unleaded????
Anyway wheres the cure???
A local autofactors has a "Gates" agency and I put the issue to them, their reply was to use their "submersible" fuel line
Unfortunately this appears to only be available in 8mm and bigger sizes,
I am awaiting a responce on 6mm or 1/4 size availability
Here is the web address for the Gates catalog
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5091&location_id=541

The local Triumph shop (modern) has also had troubles with fuel pipes???
Thing is we have no information on just how much ethanol is being put into the petrol here in Ireland !!!!!!

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #10 on: 17.03. 2011 18:01 »
Had a look at the Gates pipe and it says that it is suitable for all petroleum distillates - does not mention ethanol. I stand to be corrected as I am not a chemist but I thought that ethanol was not derived from mineral oil but brewed from vegetable origins and there lies the problem.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #11 on: 17.03. 2011 20:52 »
Usa have committed to introduce ethanol into fuel since 2006. The production of ethanol by distillation uses a corn mash which corn growers have diverted their crop to ethanol production. This has pushed corn prices through the roof which has resulted in a knock on effect for all foodstuff derived from corn. Totally against it being added to fuel but its simple to make. Check out you tube on ethanolM

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.03. 2011 23:03 »
Hi All
The Gates page reads

" Ordinary fuel line hose is designed to handle fuel on the inside only. The Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose exceeds the SAE 30R10 rating and is capable of handling gasoline, alcoholextended gasoline or diesel fuel in fully immersed, mobile, stationary and marine applications."

Alcholextended = Ethanol to the best of my knowledge???????????????/

Regards
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.03. 2011 20:11 »
Hi John O R
read the above and cant get an image out of my head

It's a guy on an A10 with a diving suit on riding around in a huge tank of fuel - yes I know silly
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco