Author Topic: roller starter  (Read 6000 times)

Offline db133

• Moving Up
Re: roller starter
« Reply #30 on: 29.12. 2012 10:26 »
Ref:

Getting back to the subject of starting the bike, I have been toying with the idea of making a set of rollers and using an old but good Makita polishing buff which is half the speed of an angle grinder and hopefully may be able to direct drive using the grinders 14mm threaded spindle.

Will that have the power to work ?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 29.12. 2012 11:02 »
What about a 3 or 4 feet long bar with a ring welded on one end (maybe under an angle?), slide the ring over the footrest, an push the kickstart pedal down this way?

did not the Velo LE have a hand operated kick start?. it was however powered by a more genteel little engine than our As, I have a picture in my mind of a three foot length of metal with rider attached in parabolic flight.

I find kick-starting my flash a doodle but the rocket can be a trial when in magneto mode and only a 1.25 difference in compression, and funnily enough similar experience pulling them onto the centre stand (would have thought the rocket would be lighter?)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #32 on: 29.12. 2012 12:11 »
hi gerry hoo1 i went to catford boys school opposite deeprose shop they also had a shop in blackheath they were big enfield dealers in those days .i bought my first road rocket from one of their mechanics  rrt2 box and all the good bits it was very quick.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 29.12. 2012 15:38 »
I know a fella, who is about the same age, and also an old bike nutter.
Last time I saw him he told me that due to knee/hip problems he can't get his bikes started anymore.
He still got a lot of strength in his arms though, which lead me to this idea;
What about a 3 or 4 feet long bar with a ring welded on one end (maybe under an angle?), slide the ring over the footrest, an push the kickstart pedal down this way?
Didn't try it though, so not sure if it 'll work

That could kill someone.

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 29.12. 2012 20:53 »
These people do a very nice solo starter but £600ish.....

http://www.hawksleyengineering.co.uk/solo-starter.html

Regards
I had a longish chat the the Hawksley man at 2012 Stafford Show.  They are very solidly made and have a lot of attention to detail - poweful starter motors etc.  They are popular with racers - I have seen 920 Triumph racers spring to life easily with them.  I have been considering getting one for startups after rebuilds, cantankerous bikes, etc.  One starter can be used with all your bikes.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 31.12. 2012 02:25 »
Hi DB133, Not sure if the Makita buff will work or not but being half the speed of an angle grinder the reduction between motor and output spindle should be greater and therefore maybe greater power....I hope. Rollers will be made out of a piece of 2" pipe. Will see and let you know when it's tried out.
Hi Chris, bet you wish you had that Road Rocket now eh? When I bought the Manx in 55 they were mainly Vincent dealers and Vincents were in their twilight year.
Cheers and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.
Gerry

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #36 on: 31.12. 2012 17:32 »
hi gerry  you are right there it was a great bike but the one i have now is just as good check it out on youtube below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hTqNmlcoU
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #37 on: 31.12. 2012 23:19 »
Well whatever method is used, it should be powered by one of these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_mrVJzJTVs
Happy New Year!
England N.W
1960 A10
England