Author Topic: Loose rivets on QD type rear hub  (Read 819 times)

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Loose rivets on QD type rear hub
« on: 29.03. 2011 20:58 »
Hi All. Has anybody found a satisfactory way of repairing loose rivets in the rear hubs without splashing out loads of money for a SRM repaired hub? The one I have has flush rivets on the outside, infact, barely visible but I have seen some with a domed base that matches the head inside the hub. Any recommendations appreciated including suitable rivet size and suppliers. Thanks, Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Online mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
Re: Loose rivets on QD type rear hub
« Reply #1 on: 30.03. 2011 04:23 »
When I stripped my rear hub I found that it had been brazed around the joint and all the rivet holes. It appeared to have been done a long time ago. When I showed the chap who rebuilt the wheel and has done dozens of these hubs he said that it is probably a lot stronger than original and to leave it alone which I have done.
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
71 Norton Commando Roadster 750
Australia

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.03. 2011 06:01 »
If you have access to a lathe, machine new rivits, then apply heat and rivet them in place.
Start by grinding the heads of the old ones, drive them out, and machine the new rivets and install.
I leave a couple of the old ones in, then also replace them after the others have been done.

It helps to machine a mild steel mandrell (a bit smaller than the hub ID) to pass through the hub, and belt the rivets against. It needs to be held very tight in a vive ( and support of the other end is recommended).

Oh how we miss the passing of the blacksmiths!

Offline te_52A7

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 30.03. 2011 06:56 »
Hi Peter, I had the same issue about three months ago and I took it to a local engineer here in Toowoomba and the for the princely some of about $50 (~25 GBP) he welded it and repressed the rivets so as never to have that problem again. When he did he also made a sleeve to fit inside during the welding to prevent any heat distortion of roundness and prevent any weld slag on the inside. He also machined flush the rivets again. A fantastic job in all and will probably see me and my son out before it needs looking at again. Quick and relatively cheap for long term peice of mind.....Todd