Author Topic: S/A oil tank connections-how close to frame?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
S/A oil tank connections-how close to frame?
« on: 30.03. 2011 23:47 »
Hi All, offering up my oil tank to the frame as my rebuild progresses, i fitted the 5/16" bolt at the rear with its spacer and rubbers, all very nice.Moved to the front mount, assembled it  OK and stood back to admire. Came to fit the rocker feed banjo and its retaining nut to the return connection on the back of the tank, and there is no room? The threaded stub is so close to the frame member that the banjo fouls the frame, and the retaining nut won`t screw on as it also fouls the frame. I cant see anything bent, its as if the oil tank is a tad too short/too far back, but there is no possible adjustment that i can see?? Is there more than one type of oil tank for the S/arm? Any ideas? Cheers, Bob

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
Re: S/A oil tank connections-how close to frame?
« Reply #1 on: 31.03. 2011 01:20 »
Bob  I have just fitted mine and also found it to be very close. I ended up loosening the rear bolt so that the tank had some movement at the bottom, fitted the banjo and nut then retightened the bolt. I just went out and had another look and there is almost no clearance between the nut and frame, so I will have to loosen the bolt to remove the banjo if I ever need to.

Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
71 Norton Commando Roadster 750
Australia

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 31.03. 2011 07:44 »
Cheers Mark,thinking back now, when I was checking over the frame a few weeks ago, I noticed some curious triangular depressions on the frame as if it had been clobbered  hard a couple of times with the corner of a square piece of steel. I filled them with a spot of MIG and filed down  to the level of the frame tube. Didn`t give it much thought at the time but now I realise the marks were where the oil tank union sits (too) close to the frame and the marks will have been from the corner of the retaining nut rubbing over the years- makes a mockery of the rubber mountings! If it had been a japanese frame I dont doubt it would have had a small flat pressed into the frame tube to give clearence.Then again they would have made the oil tank the right size!- or gone to a wet sump !!!! Bob.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.03. 2011 08:35 »
are all of you certain the  rubber pad that is stuck to the oil tank and sits between the oil tank and frame is the correct thickness, the original is not very thick ( 1/8th or so from memory)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 31.03. 2011 10:45 »
Hi Bill, cant get much clearence at all even with no rubber pads in.The ones I got are about 1/4" thick and  squashy-would compress to about 1/8" or so. I noted that the brass banjo fitting  for the rocker feed has a small relief moulded into it at the point where it is closest to the frame- its zinc plated over so i assume BSA  intended it that way, but its barely enough to clear the frame ( I`ve taken a file to it to improve,but not much meat to go at) I think the retaining nut over the banjo is more likely to foul- I bought a shiny new stainess one, and I am wondering if the hexagon is a touch bigger than the original ones. At 19.95 mm AF/ 25/32"?-its  an odd size poss made from 20mm hexagon bar .I can`t find the original to compare.I suspect filing the hex down a touch to fit a 3/4" socket size may help, Bob.