Author Topic: Siamese pipes - a good thing?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
Siamese pipes - a good thing?
« on: 08.04. 2011 01:03 »
Just looking at things on my 1962 A10 that I can improve without having it off the road too long. Downpipes are pretty rough and had only noticed siamese ones on the net for sale so far. I expect they are a performance improvement, maybe helping to suck out exhaust gas? How does it effect the note - love the twin beat it has now. Would it be out of place on what I think is a bog standard bike? Any recommendations appreciated.

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Re: Siamese pipes - a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: 08.04. 2011 07:11 »
Craig
Siamese would be preferable on a bike with a sidecar as the pipe would be mon the right hand side and is better for the person in the sidecar.
I have had both on my 61 super rocket and have the siamese on at the moment and it sounds just fine.
Good luck with the "polishing"
Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 08.04. 2011 07:19 »
Wouldn't look out of place I don't reckon Craig, Super Rockets had them (or some did anyway, I never know quite what went or should go on what year, they're all 'AIOs' to me!), they look quite good and of course primary side access is better and there is one less shiny bit to have to wash if you're into that stuff, which I'm not.
I have siamese systems on three bikes and I prefer them for the above reasons. I doubt they are a performance improvement because you usually end up with unequal lengths, but there are so many variables. . . .  I started siamesed on my A, went twin pipe, and then came back to siamese, which is how she's staying. Runs nicely on it. I've heard it said that if you're running twin carbs, use twin pipes, but I break that rule on another beast and she goes fine too.
As for the sound, my A is standard sort of tune, iron head, 7.25:1 and it sounds nice to me. I have a pattern Goldie on there. Sadly or perhaps not it's quieter than the outrageous things of our youth, but still a respectable rumble, which can become almost a roar.  Obviously doesn't have the crack of a higher compression engine with a lumpier cam, but not bad for all that.
Bill

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: 08.04. 2011 07:23 »
Hi Craig,
I'm in the same situation, looking at Siamese pipes for when I get my A10 back on the road. At the moment though a dodgy thread in the rocket box top is about to delay things though I fear !

I was going for it for practical reasons rather than performance - makes access to the primary side easier and I fancy the siamese with a Goldie silencer.. May work out fractionally cheaper, am not sure on that though.

Will be interested in what you decide.

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 08.04. 2011 11:22 »
Well you'll save money on silencers, and also save some weight.
They can be a devil of a job getting on and off the bike, and you're never sure, if the bike is smoking, whether its on one pot, which one or both.
Cheers,

iain

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #5 on: 08.04. 2011 17:04 »
Good comment from Iain regarding not knowing which pot is faulty.... All my twin pot bikes have separate pipes and I must admit being really in love with a pals bike at some rally some time ago... I got to ride it and it sounded absolutely fantastic! Its actually a YouTube clip and you've just gotta hear it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmW5t3pAimM
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 09.04. 2011 23:59 »
Thanks for all the comments. Still keeps a nice note hey! I forget about Youtube being a great source of info. Re my intro thread and a bit of research it may be that it is an ex SA Police bike and if so for historical reasons would keep it how they had it. So maybe I need another A10 to ..... Joking joking - wife can get a bit nervous with such comments!

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 28.04. 2011 14:19 »
But an update is that i have been to the historical society and there appears little doubt it was a SA Police bike and all of these had the siamese pipe fitted - perfect!