Author Topic: A10 chrome tank advice  (Read 4806 times)

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
A10 chrome tank advice
« on: 11.04. 2011 01:02 »
I did a search and read a number of comments re tanks but thought I would start a fresh thread if that is ok that is a bit more specific for me.

I have seen worse tanks than the one on mine but given that the plating alone will be in excess of AU$500 and with a bit of dent knocking and paint and liner kit possibly needed, final price should take me well over $1000. And if you recall from my intro post I am on a solemn promise to not pull it apart into a pile of immobile bits! If a new tank arrives and sent off to be painted and just a couple of bolts and its on will be a lot more palatable than it sitting there tankless for 6 months or so while it is being dent knocked etc and I always have the old tank if a new one is not spot on but will do the trick for a while.

So this has taken me down the road of looking at replacement tanks, but with caution given the comments I have read about poor fit and quality. The exchange rate is great for us here right now but freight as ever is a significant factor. I do have a contact in the states that whereby i can get good freight prices, but I haven't been able to find any there yet- any US guys know of suppliers?

But my best quotes so far are:

Vintage Auto World in Delhi at AU$ 235 + 126 freight = 461
and
Rob Reaney in the UK for 280 quid all up = 435

So for a number of reasons I am leaning Robs way. Anyone dealt with him or know the quality of the tanks?

My only other thought is that there are a number of other big freight items I intend on getting and a combination thing might help there:  rear shocks, rims and spokes, exhaust (whichever way I go there) and possibly seat but need to check out the police bike possibility and if the low wide one on there isnt related to that - looks a bit out of place to me but even just a cover might do - will do a separate post on that. There are other bits and pieces, like fork seal holders that are battered, new fuel taps I thought etc but imagine freight wont be a big factor in those.

Any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: A10 chrome tank advice
« Reply #1 on: 11.04. 2011 10:21 »
Hi Craig... I had a B33 tank off of Reany and was not really impressed with the tank, it was different and I know I'd have not been happy riding with it on. Quality was good, sale was quick and all that so I've left it on the shelf in shed, am stuck with it actually. Not so long afterwards an original B33 tank turns up on ebay and I won it for only £49. All the threads etc are in very good condition. I reckon knowing how it turned out for me, that you would be best to look around for a good replacement tank, they are about, the A10 is a common classic bike, it is only just playing the waiting game and I think you would get a lot more satisfaction in hunting one down and maybe spending a little on any minor repairs it has.

Just to edit my post and to be a bit fairer on Reaney... The problem with me is that I cast a critical eye over his tank when I got it, I pay a lot of money and I like things right! I placed the original one next to his repro one. If I had no tank to compare with then I dont think that I'd have known the difference.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.04. 2011 10:48 »
I have to disagree with LJ. These tanks are only thin sheet steel and now that they are 50 years old with corrosion and errosion they are even thinner. It,s a big gamble to spend a lot of money on painting and plating only to find later that it leaks. I have an Indian made tank ok it,s not completly identical but it,s been in use over 2 years now with no problems and I am happy with it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 11.04. 2011 13:15 »
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Not being identical wouldn't kill me knowing I still have the other one that could be repaired. I am mainly concerned if it was a major fit problem that I can't exactly pop around the corner and take it back. If it is close and enables me to keep it mobile then it could be worth the effort. But given all the comments I might still see if I can strip the paint off and get a solid quote on a repair. If once the paint comes off it doesn't need a lot of knocking and it turns out only being say $750 then for a few hundred difference might be the way to go. So even if there are slightly different opinions, it all adds up to helping with my decision and that is appreciated.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 11.04. 2011 14:20 »
Its a very fair comment from Goldy and I respect that...  *smile* I guess the thing here with finding old tanks in good condition is.. Luck! I must admit I've had a fair share of that. With a reproduction tank or anything for that matter, my problem is that I'm too much of a rivet counter and originalist, perhaps that's a bad thing? but I'm happy and I believe the next person to own my bikes will be happy too.  *smile* The main thing is what works best for you.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 24.04. 2011 07:51 »
Hi Craigb,
Don't know where you are, I'm in Victoria, and have had my tank rebuilt and chromed for $685. Still have to have the panels painted so haven't finished spending yet but will end up with an original tank in as new condition.  It was repaired by John Bennet in King Lake West, who is excellent, cost $350 and chromed by Classic chrome in Geelong at $385.  John recomended Classic chrome.
Hope this info helps.

Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 24.04. 2011 08:10 »
Hello Craig,
                not sure if you have seen this or not but there is a rechromed one on evil-bay at the moment in Adelaide. You could always contact him and see if he will sell it privately if you are interested, remember he will have to pay fees if he sells it on evil-bay. If you bought it you could sell your one and recoup some of the cost.

I can also recommend Classic Chrome in Geelong, they did the tank on my Star Twin and its a good job.

If your tank is sound and doesnt have too many dents I would seriously consider repairing it and getting it chromed. The Indian tanks are quite good and very useable if you dont have a tank but they are not up to the standard of an original tank. It all depends on just how original and what quality of finish you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PETROL-TANK-BSA-A10-B33-1960-UP-/120713705677?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1b18f8cd

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 25.04. 2011 01:13 »
The Delhi dealer sells them for $295!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 26.04. 2011 10:45 »
There is a bod in Melbourne I believe he calls himself "Tanks by Trev "
A few of the BSAOA Vic riders have his tanks and reckon he dose a really good job.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 28.04. 2011 14:15 »
Thanks guys and sorry I missed the responses. You have to check these forums because if you just rely on the "show posts since past visits" you always seem to miss some.

From the earlier comments I had already started down the road of repairing mine. found a highly recommended dent knocker in the Barossa and need to get it off to have the chrome stripped first. Then it is just the challenge of finding a good plater. I have had more crap work done over the years than good and the best of them has retired now. Might be time to give some of the older ones I wrote off in the past another chance...... with all those comments I have made in the past like " i am a picky bastard and just want a good job and promise I wont grizzle about price - just want a good job" . I might try A Class metal finishers again after about 20 years of not being able to face them after taking the wheel locking nuts off my Amilcar to them and specifically saying that I don't mind about the few pits in them, just dont buff off the french writing on them for left and right and the arrow. "yeah, yeah the guys says laughing, we wouldn't do something like that" I say "Could you write it in your book with the job" - guy laughs at me -"No, sorry to be a pain but have had bad experiences, want to prove that I have told you this and do everything I can to get the message through to the metal polisher to not buff the writing out, it is an important visible part of the car, basically irreplacable, and the car is not concourse, just want the writing left in!" Guy gives in, writes it down with extra guidance from me the major PITA........ fast forward several weeks........ writing buffed off and some pits still in it......... speechless but ask quietly to speak to the owner........ his response "it wont be easy but we can do them again with lots of copper and get those pits out      !!!!!!  Hence why I haven't been back.

Might be worth a drive to Geelong (8 hours or so) if I could guarantee to get a good job.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28.04. 2011 23:05 »
G'day Craig,
I hear what your saying, it's no different up here in nthn, NSW, I had finally found a good chromer in Bris. but
has since changed hands & gone to the dogs. I was about where you are, I had a good original 4g tank with a few
small dents. I lead wiped the dents & had the tank ready for chroming, but wasn't confident on getting a good job
after talking with a few chromers that started winging about plating over lead. I found a new tank on ebay at APC
motorcycles in Bris., was about $490.00, they stated it was English made (Jury still out on that one!), but I'm happy
with it, the gap between the two sides is wider ie. doesn't touch on the rubbers on the anti roll bracket, but that's about it.
Ended up selling my old tank. Did the electrolysis set-up from the forum to clean it out "worked a treat".

egards, Cus 
56 G/Flash project

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 29.04. 2011 00:05 »
Had to look up "Amilcar".  Very cool.  I would have been out of my mind,  basically telling them they were paying for the first set I could find,  but I know such things often go nowhere.

Richard L

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #12 on: 29.04. 2011 01:24 »
Unfortunately Craig your experience with the platers is pretty much normal, its almost impossible to get one to do what you want. This is what pushed me to making almost everything myself out of stainless and what is pushing me to try home plating for my next project. (A 1929 BSA, lots of nickel)

I used to use Metal Finishers in Brompton and then went to A Class at Lonsdale but the same problem, nuts came back rounded off etc. I have used Classic chrome in Geelong a couple of time and have been happy with the results but that was only on straight forward stuff, I havent used them where stamped numbers or writing has been involved. I could only suggest you give them a few items first as a sort of "test  case".

Glad you have been able to track down what your bike is. It was a copper on a BSA that got me started on bikes when I was young back in the early sixties.

Online mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 29.04. 2011 01:47 »
Craig, I have just had a tank done by Classic Chrome in Geelong and am more than happy with the result. It cost me $440 as it ended up with 3 coats of copper and nickel before he was happy with it. It was also panel beated by John Bennet who did a fantastic job on a beaten up tank. I can give contact details if needed.
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
71 Norton Commando Roadster 750
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.04. 2011 08:59 »
, the gap between the two sides is wider ie. doesn't touch on the rubbers on the anti roll bracket

Hi Cus
I have an Indian made tank, that has the same problem !!, it is actually a Goldie tank and I have always wondered if there is some difference, Goldie owners might like to say
Easy to get over with a bit of rubber surgery though, other than that the tanks not to bad at all, the chrome can be criticized with a critical eye but looks fine when the bikes moving as it should be.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco