Author Topic: A10 chrome tank advice  (Read 4797 times)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
Re: A10 chrome tank advice
« Reply #15 on: 15.06. 2011 23:58 »
I was wondering about these indian made tanks and had a similar post on here well into last year , my main worry was the quality of the chrome plating , are the indian tanks triple plated ? Or is it chrome directly onto the steel ? I haven't been able to get a definite answer.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 16.06. 2011 10:07 »
Hi Craig, can't help much re tank my only experience was from a british dealer ,tank was fine but it had been curupted/comtaminated by some substance that took the paint guy 3 weeks to sort ,paint wouldn't set so when it did turn up I just gave aprayer up and fitted it ,been fine since so if I need another I'd have a go at an indian one simply on the grounds of they couldn't be any worse !!. Anyway real reason for post you mentioned taps well I've just got some from Paul Goff here in the UK really good quality ethanol resistant innards and only cost £19 for 2, He also does LED lights and indicators and finally rear shocks ,which again are excellent and very well priced @ £69.95 and thats inc uk postage Could be worth a look His company e-mail is www.norbsa02.freeuk.com also a nice guy.Not associated with him other than as a happy customer, Best wishes Bob Hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #17 on: 16.06. 2011 11:46 »
I bought one from Bantam John, Dronfield. It was allegedly a rebuilt one and came painted and ready to fit.
On the first outing it split at the edge of the mounting bolt hole with petrol seeping out.
To give him his due,  he replaced it with a new one, again painted and ready to fit. I thought I'd been told it was Chinese but probably it's of Indian origin. It looks great and has been on the bike now for maybe 5 years with no trouble but the gap for the rubbers was a bit bigger than the original and one of the threads for the taps is at a slight angle both faults which didn't bother me but would probably offend the purists.
Funnily enough I had the bike at a Triumph Owners Club concours last night and a couple of guys commented on how well the tank was looking. At the same time I had the oil tank and toolbox painted by John's man to match the tank.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #18 on: 17.06. 2011 09:46 »
Might be worth a drive to Geelong (8 hours or so) if I could guarantee to get a good job.

Albury electroplaters.

They normally do no do motorcycle parts due to troubles with cheapskate motorcyclists and morons who take them tissue paper tanks then sue when the tank falls apart.
They are just about the only place RR owners take their parts to be replated and the only place in Oz that dose triple plate properly.

Other than that grab a copy of a local classic car or hot rod magazine and try the platers who advertise there knowing that the target market are very fussy.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 17.06. 2011 12:21 »
The Company that I use for plating tell me that they get new Indian tanks in for people who want the chrome stipping off and then they triple plate, so I would suggest they are not triple plated. My Indian tank is about 2 years old now and have not had any problems with the tank or the chrome.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 17.06. 2011 14:59 »
close inspection of my Indian tank will reveal patches of the chrome that appear slightly more coppery than the rest, would maybe suggest they are triple plated but not very evenly.
However even if you want the tank re chromed when you get it or at a later date you probably won't be that much out of pocket if at all.
I had my Flash tank (original equipment) re chromed and painted some eleven years ago and it cost a bit over £500 to do then, I'll live with the very slight imperfection of the Indian tank until it needs any attention
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 17.06. 2011 16:58 »
I think you are very brave Bill to spend that amount of money on an original tank. I know people who have done that only to find at a later date pins holes developing in the tank. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 17.06. 2011 17:36 »
It's a good solid tank Goldie, had a slight depression on the top which he took out also welded a crack (just in front of the seat, a result of it having no tank strap)
He also sealed the bottom of the tank (that might be a problem but nothing has happened yet - it's pink stuff?) also painted and lined.
Chrome is perfect to this day, no he did a damn good job, unfortunately went bust shortly after (was The Original Tank Doctor)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 18.06. 2011 00:49 »
i had a tank re plated and he made a real mess of it the chrome was peeling off and you could see the copper underneath it i got  my tank from c and d auto and its very well made been on bike for 4 years now no probes  with it and an old tank i wouldn't trust if its been re-chromed a few times the steel will be very thin and as for the tank lining it might be dissolved with this petrol additive we have to put up with now ethanol

dave

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 18.06. 2011 09:59 »
Hi Dave - don't know if your "he" is referring to the same bloke I had "Original Tank Doctor", as he went bust and another guy using the name "Tank Doctor" appeared, don't think it was the same bloke, just an opportunist maybe , who knows given the way bankruptcy get a rounds go.

yes I'm keeping an eye on the tank lining, nothing seems to be happening so far, I use Castrol valvemaster plus (has octane booster in it) so maybe it neutralises the Ethanol effect. or it could be a lining that is resistant, as I said it's pink, would appreciate anyone knowing what it is
All the best - Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 18.06. 2011 10:16 »
I'm using Tapox to seal my tanks, it is a 2pack system and 100% ethanol proof.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAPOX-PETROL-FUEL-TANK-SEALANT-ETHANOL-FUEL-MBIKES-CARS-/120736274373?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c1c7157c5

It is much cheaper here and in Germany though (aorund 22-24Euros). But that is more of a reddish brown than pink?

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 18.06. 2011 10:39 »
Thanks Marcus, might be the same stuff, had no problems so far, time will tell.
All the best - Bill

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 30.12. 2011 05:58 »
Thought I would report back on the tank saga - interesting to note that in late April I decided to go the resto of my old one road and here we are with me picking the tank up from the platers on 24/12. It's OK but from reading here my advice to anyone in australia is to take the transport risk and send it to Geelong as Mark recommended. A class metal finishers in Adelaide did a barely acceptable job at $420 and after 2 goes. There are pits and linnish marks if you look closely but not bad from a distance. And I missed the bit when I said to him when dropping off the tank that did he see any problems with the tank that had been dent knocked, and not that money isnt important but I just want a good job and if it costs more thats fine but he said it will be $350 and "it will be that" I seem to recall him saying. I said i was picky, and had seen work with linish marks in it and was prepared to pay more if it meant going down to extra fine grades etc and there was absolutely no rush. Time taken was much longer than estimated and included monthly calls just to check things OK but still told him i was patient and just wanted a good job. My December call he said that they had trouble and had to do it again but still hoped to get it to me by xmas - I thanked him for taking the time to see it is right. Picked it up and it was better than some of the rubbish i have got back from other local platers but I asked him about the pits and he said there was nothing they could do about it, it was an old tank etc. Now I don't know why that isn't what he told me when I dropped it off, said i was a picky bastard and did he see any problems. I did point out to him that I had the option of getting a new indian tank and potentially getting it re worked and plated. I asked couldn't they put more copper on and work it and he looked shocked and said, "no way, this is a tank and can only be chromed straight onto steel" I said - are you sure, i'm sure ive heard of people doing that - he said yes they are doing this on a very rare tank and they had to make up special plugs etc and was going to cost megadollars. Then I read the posts on here and realise the guy is full of s***! Sounds like  it is not an issue for Geelong and they charged the same sort of money to do the job right.

But sometimes you have to just have to write it off to experience and get on with life. My conclusion is there is nobody in Adelaide that can do decent chrome - is it that bigger ask? I suppose in  future if I sent the tanks to Geelong in bubble wrap and then took the 16 hour round trip drive to pick it up, catch up with a mate or two, maybe line it up with something at Phillip Island........ think positive!! 

And now for paint - very tempted to do it myself so I only have myself to blame but I wonder if 2 pack is a good idea for durability and fuel resistance - any opinions? Otherwise it will be acrylic with a clear coat.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #28 on: 30.12. 2011 08:16 »
Definitely two pack Craig, modern fuel will take acyrilic off easily. You need to mask the tank up and then use a fine emery paper to rough up the chrome, then use a good quality etch primer. Put your colour on and then remove the masking. Then you have to put the lining on, there are several ways to do that but I use tape. If you buy a good quality lining tape like 3M its almost indistingishable from a painted line. Once you have put the lining on mask the tank again just outside the lining and give it a coat of clear over the lot.

I did mine this way and have spilt fuel on it a couple of times and it is fine although even with two pack I would still be careful not to get fuel on it and if you do wipe it off straight away.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #29 on: 30.12. 2011 12:50 »
I was in at MODAK the other day... they have a round emblem chrome tank in the window...$700.  no paint.
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"