Author Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 786 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Electrical problem
« on: 17.04. 2011 15:03 »
Sorry - its not A7 related but its tearing my hair out and I need advise!

My other bike - a 1980 Ducati MHR has been wheeled out for the summer. The battery is fully charged (12.72v) but the following happens:

- With the ignition on and a multimeter across the terminal of the battery the volt reading drops by around 0.1v per second
- When I start the engine and press the horn or put the indicators on the engine dies
- If I leave the ignition on for 5/10 seconds none of the electrics work - no horn/flashers etc. Take a reading across the battery and its 6.54v ish
- leave the bikre alone with the ignition off for a few minutes and the electrics work and the bike starts until I use any other electrics then the engine dies.

Its got me beat...is the battery knackered?

Cheers

Alan  *sad2*

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: 17.04. 2011 18:14 »
Does sound like the battery. Have you got a car battery you could connect with jump leads? If your charger has a reading of the current taken it will give an indication of battery condition. A flat duff battery will take a lot less current then a flat healthy battery.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #2 on: 18.04. 2011 10:07 »
Either that or there's an earth fault somewhere that's draining it. Usually if the battery's had it then there's not enough to start the engine.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)