Author Topic: ridiculous weather  (Read 2431 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
ridiculous weather
« on: 07.01. 2008 22:21 »
Adding insult to injury, with the engine at the machinist, Chicago has been over 60 deg. F. for the last two days of record heat. Yes, I would rather be riding than writing, though it might not seem so.

Richard
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: ridiculous weather
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2008 09:33 »

Eh?? I thought you were all under six foot of snow out there!
Good Advice
No reactions
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Pim

• A's Best Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: 08.01. 2008 12:54 »
Thought so to? Are we misled by the evil media cooperations?
Good Advice
No reactions
Slow but steady...

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 08.01. 2008 22:19 »
We have 80mph gales on the way tonight  *surpr*
Good Advice
No reactions

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.01. 2008 22:26 »
No need for jealousy, a return to frozen normalcy is on its way. I think I hear Erling shouting in disgust, "I've got your frozen normalcy right here!" (that is, in Norway).

Richard
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 08.01. 2008 22:57 »
Yes, nearly skid off the road with my ol' car on some hidden ice tonight. I guess Australia is a nice place at this time of the year.
Good Advice
No reactions

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.01. 2008 12:28 »
As I sit here outside of Chicago with the thermometer at -8 F. (-25 F wind chill), I am reminded of Groily's 150 mile-plus ride around France about a week ago, and +60 F here about two weeks ago. As I said, frozen normalcy returns.

Just for the record, for those of you who believe our Norwegian administrator in Norway is saying "You think that's cold...," I checked, it's currently +39 F in Oslo (through I don't know how far north he lives).

Richard
Good Advice
No reactions

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #7 on: 24.01. 2008 13:52 »
I well remember my first trip to Chicago . . . I lived in Ohio at the time, probably '94 or '95, and thought I'd do without a coat as I hardly ever wear one . . . hadn't understood what you guys meant by Windy . . . froze the flesh to the bones walking around downtown with wind chill I'd never even have believed. Impossible to ride in, that was for sure.

Coldest I've had here in temperate Normandy is about -8 C . . . which only happens once every year or two . . . but it was fairly close to that in December, and I did get cold even under the natural insulation I have bought and paid for over the years!

Guess you'll just have to sit tight and dispense pearls of wisdom in Cyberspace until it warms up a bit Richard. I'll think of you while notching up my standard Saturday mileage - on the BSA this week I think, as it's running like a clock again after recent ministrations. Hope frozen normalcy doesn't stretch right through to Easter or beyond . . . Groily
Good Advice
No reactions
Bill

Offline flatdeck

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 24.01. 2008 23:06 »
Conditions certainly do differ don't they. Here in Auckland NZ we are currently averaging 24C, light winds and dry. Worst we get is -2C in the hills but boy does it rain in spring and autumn - about 60 inches a year in total from memory but it is possible to get 2 or 3 of those in one day .... not a day to be out on something with dodgy electrics .....
Good Advice
No reactions
Dave
NZBSAOC
1949 A7 Star Twin
Kent, U.K. then Auckland, N.Z.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 25.01. 2008 05:13 »
Well, if the parts must be in the shop, I can't think of a better time for it. I just have to remind myself to get with it so that the fix isn't still happening deep into spring.

Groily, Ohio has one of the more active BSA clubs. Were you involved with those folks at all? I have been meaning to go to their big annual event for a few years now, but haven't been able to get away.

Flatdeck, One thing you didn't mention is the New Zealand scenery, which, from what I can tell, must make for fabulous rides.

I am happy to announce that the temperature has soared to -5 F, as of right now. 

Richard
Good Advice
No reactions

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 25.01. 2008 16:37 »
So glad you've hit the highs at Minus Five, Richard. Heatwave or what?

When I was in Ohio I was unfortunate to have to work pretty well all the hours there were - benefit being I don't any more - but I never had even half a chance to play with bikes. One prob was that a UK licence wasn't enough for a resident and I needed to take a state driving test to go with the car test I'd already done; although I had my old AJS in the shed, I never registered it there and therefore had no wheels to take a test with . . . don't ask me why I didn't get a Harley, please! So was not able to play 2 wheels at all really. Did manage to play a little bit on 4, and did register my scruffy pre-war Riley Nine out there, to the amazement of the neighbours and the guy at the Montgomery County vehicle licensing office. Not many scruffy 71 year old cars with three sets of licence plates, methinks!

As to NZ, well, what can a person say? Is there a more amazingly beautiful place on earth, with such a high percentage of friendly people to go with it? If so, I haven't found it, and that's no disrespect to the many other wonderful places on this planet, some of which I've been lucky enough to have seen. I well remember stopping for coffee (let's call it) at some roadside place on the South Island, saw the guy had a small chopper out the back, asked him what it was for and he said 'want a ride?' So for about 50 dollars he gave us a quick whizz round whatever area it was . . .. Tremendous and unforgettable time. Wish I'd had a bike rather than a hire car, complete with memsahib and 3 weeks' luggage though.
Were our kids not in the UK, were this heaven on earth a bit nearer  . . . . but at least we've been.  Groily
Good Advice
No reactions
Bill

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #11 on: 25.01. 2008 23:34 »
Why dont you all shift over here to Australia, the weather was terrific yesterday, perfect today and the forecast says it will be excellent tomorrow..................
Good Advice
No reactions

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 26.01. 2008 15:17 »
That's not just weather, Brian, that's a climate! Groily
Good Advice
No reactions
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 16.01. 2009 12:59 »
My 24 January 2008 weather report is now a joke. Today, just outside Chicago, -30 C., feels like -38 C.  Erling, I checked, a balmy +5 C. in Bergen, Norway, a veritable steam bath.

Just thought I would complain and share the pain.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline stratcat

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #14 on: 16.01. 2009 20:02 »
I was hoping for a decent ride out this weekend.
It doesn't sound likely listening to the forecast.

Gale force winds - deep joy!
Good Advice
No reactions