Author Topic: BSA CA7 Frame - Production Year  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Jayce Lane

• Active
BSA CA7 Frame - Production Year
« on: 21.01. 2008 08:10 »
Dear All,

I have been hunting for a classic bike to build on a low budget, then opportunity knocked and a gentleman gave me a BSA frame for free.

From the literature available on the web, I have been able to figure out that it could be either a A10 golden Flash or road rocket swing arm frame. 

What I would like to figure out in what year the frame was produced.

The frame number is CA7.9378 or CA7.9738 I cant remember off hand now.

I have attached a picture just for referance

Your help would be much appreciated

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA CA7 Frame - Production Year
« Reply #1 on: 21.01. 2008 11:59 »
Jayce,

Apparently, you've got a '55 or '56 frame there, a nice get. Take a look at the engine and frame number list located on page 1 of the New Guy thread. The main thing that distingushes this frame from the next series is the use of left-side pull rear brakes versus right-side, as used on the following series. Right-pull rear brakes use a hollow swingarm spindle for the brake cross-shaft. Therefroe the hole in the flange on the frame that takes swingarm spindle is larger in diameter.

Richard

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.01. 2008 21:54 »
It is early 1955. Note the cast lower front engine mount lugs are missing as per 1954 and early '55. Good luck finding the rest of it. It could be Golden Flash, Road Rocket, A7 or Shooting Star.
                                                                                     Trev.

Offline Jayce Lane

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 22.01. 2008 05:55 »
Dear Trev and Richard

Thanks for your valuable information.  Trev you inadvertantly answered my next question as to what model BSA it could be.  One thing that I find unique about early BSA's is the fact that engine numbers and frames did not match, often a critical criteria amongst classic car collectors when determining the authenticity of the vehicle. 

In terms of options for myself, if one wanted to satisfy the blue blooded classic enthusiasts and in so doing hopefully build up a bike which will be an investment to a degree which is the way to go?  Do I build a Golden Flash, Road Rocket or Shooting Star?

In terms of the rest of the bike, any donations are welcome! ;) Even spare bolts and nuts.

Cheers

Jayce

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.01. 2008 21:27 »
Jayce,

Yes, Trev is correct, I misread the list. I gues it will be a Road Rocket with matching numbers if the engine you ultimately get is CA10R 601 through 2000.

Regarding the brake issue that I metioned before, your frame does have the boss for mounting the left-pull brake pedal where the pillion loop meets the bottom-rear of the frame. However, it seems to me that the hole for the swingarm spindle may have been drilled/reamed out to fit the hollow swing-arm spindle of subsequent years. This is something important to check when buying your swingarm with its "silent-bloc" bushings in it. They are a pain to change and you may want to avoid it. If I am correct, and you want year/make authenticity, you may need to reduce the hole diameter in the frame flanges to accept the smaller diameter hollow spindle.  The reason I know about this is because my '55 is built on a later frame and I had to rebush my swingarm and buy a hollow spindle, which stays hollow because I kept the left-pull rear brake. Then, I had to add the previously described boss for the brake pedal.

Richard

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.01. 2008 22:02 »
Jayce, I must correct myself re cast frame lug. That should read upper lug, not lower. As to what to build, I guess that is dictated by whatever engine you can get. Obviously the sporty models are more valuable.
To Richard, the Road Rockets delivered here in Australia all seem to have had engine prefix CA10RR and the early Super Rockets were CA10R.
I would try to source the original components to restore the bike to single sided brakes but the swing arm may be problematic as they seem to be in demand for use on "new" Goldies.
    Trev.

Offline Jayce Lane

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 24.01. 2008 06:36 »
Dear Richard and Trev

Thank you very much for your insites.  I can say for certain that this will be the place were I will most probably get most of my help from.  That being said, I am a real novice and half the descriptions on the frame I did not fully understand, but am sure that I will get to know it better.  Richard you are right in that I am looking for make/year authenticity and would like to get to a point as if it had come out of the factory a year or two ago and was still stock standard.

Saw this picture of a '55 golden flash on ebay, would like to get it looking something like this.

Cheers

Jayce

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 25.01. 2008 02:54 »
Jayce,

The photo below provides some info about your frame. While not touching on everything, I tried to point out some of the things that I had to discover along the way in my build. As always, our members may well add to or correct the details, if necessary. 

Richard

Offline Jayce Lane

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 25.01. 2008 06:41 »
Dear Richard,

Thank you for the detailed description of the frame. It helped me a lot.  I was guessing that the brake pull cable was the aftermarket kickstand you were refering to.

Could you provide me with a picture/detail of what the orginal kickstand casting would have looked like.  I want to make all the necessary corrections to the frame, before I send it off for sandblasting and powdercoating.

I once had a land rover series 3 lwb and realised the value of being involved in a forum.  Richard and Trev, thank you very much for all your help so far.

Cheers

Jayce

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #9 on: 25.01. 2008 11:58 »
 !! Great work, mano.

Jayce, nice to see someone from rhe tip of Africa here, and good luck with your project and search for parts, with perseveration you will find everything you need.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"