Author Topic: Bit of a problem today (lost gear lever)  (Read 2143 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Bit of a problem today (lost gear lever)
« on: 01.05. 2011 19:19 »
HI there.
First thing how often do you check your gear lever for tightness, I will check it a lot more often after today. It was a lovely day here in North East England for a run, so I set off for a run down to the coast only about 10-12 miles got there no bother continued on further down down the coast then cut back inland over to the A1 and headed back home got to my  turn off slip road which is uphill to traffic lights which were on red, went to change down only to find gear lever missing had to stop at the lights, but because of incline could not pull away in top tried but engine stalled holding in the clutch pushed the bike round the roundabout off the opposite slip road onto a housing estate. Thankfully I was only about a mile from home but there was no way I was going to be able to push the bike up the very steep hill home so rang the son who arrived after just a few minutes during which I had a plan which was go home with the son in his car take the gear lever off the A65 which was in the garage go back fasten on and hey presto drive home. Soon as I looked at the lever on the A65 I knew it would not fit smaller spindle so plan B took a set of Mole Grips down clamped to the spindle changed into nuetral started the engine and using the grips changed into second gear pulled away and drove the mile home. I do have breakdown cover which I would have used if I were any distance away but I reckoned that I would have been home before they could have got to me. Why did it come off I have not had the gear lever off for at least 6-7 years and used the bike every year. Ordered a new lever on Ebay will check it now on a regular basis.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Re: Bit of a problem today
« Reply #1 on: 01.05. 2011 19:49 »
They say Loctite is a (Brit)bikers best freind!!

Had a similar one last year, riding home from the Fenmans I stopped at a petrol station. Filled up, paid, helmet and gloves back on, ignition on, fold out kickstarter.....Ohh dear, foldy out bit missing!
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 01.05. 2011 20:47 »
Same thing happened to me 120 miles from home. A 14mm ring spanner is a snug fit on the spline. Got me home.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #3 on: 02.05. 2011 07:12 »
I've had a gear lever thats tried to jump off many miles from home... This was some four hundred miles up in the waste lands of Scotland a few years back. The holding nut that clamps the lever to spline was at its tightest but lever was still loose. I was not taking any chances... Long way home in first gear is not for me! some soft wire was a good temporary fix.

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 02.05. 2011 10:29 »
I always fit a longer bolt to the gear lever and then when fully tightened into the thread I fit a nut underneath. Seems to give a bit extra security.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 02.05. 2011 20:11 »
Yup...lost mine about a year ago.  Spend about two hours looking for it even though I knew within 1/8 mile where it fell off.  Never did find it.

We need to form a lost shift lever support group...same goes for oil tank and primary inspection covers.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.05. 2011 22:19 »
We all need to modify the change shaft a la Goldie and fit a circlip!

Trev.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 02.05. 2011 22:41 »
For the gear lever, I've flattened the surface at the thread side, to accomodate a counter nut to lock the bolt in place. Add loctite in addition, and it should never fall off if tightened correctly in the first place.
See last picture.

To keep the kick cotter in place (and other parts), maybe drill a hole (should be quite small so as to not weaken the cotter at the threads) trough nut and cotter (at the correct nut location when tightened, of course) and fit a locking pin. Or jut using a self locking nut (if available in that dimension?), or loctite, would help a lot. Or fit a second (thin) nut to lock the main nut. Or cut\file a small groove for a circlip. btw, am needing a new, fresh cotter.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 03.05. 2011 20:02 »
One other way to secure which I have done ( if you don,t need to reposition the lever). Drill a small hole into the gear lever and spindle half into the spindle and half into the lever. With a set of taps cut a thread and fit a grub screw. It will never drop off, but can still be removed.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Andrew

• Andrew Goodman CLS.JP
  • Active
« Reply #9 on: 15.05. 2011 13:28 »
yep, my B31 gear lever came off last summer. i check all my bikes each time i use now. took a hour but i found the lever, no tools with me so had to jam it on with a twig *smile* *smile*
Andy

Offline andy

• A's Good Friend
  • and so the fun begins !!
« Reply #10 on: 15.05. 2011 20:22 »
does that make it a stick shift gear change(groan) *doh* *lol* *lol*
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Bit of a problem today (lost gear lever)
« Reply #11 on: 24.05. 2011 16:34 »
Hi there
I think I have solved the problem of the gear lever coming off again have drilled the end of the shaft and tapped it 5mm fitted a washer and spring washer, hopefully the problem solved. I think I will change the allen bolt for a countersink one when I can find a stainless one, will look neater.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Andrew

• Andrew Goodman CLS.JP
  • Active
« Reply #12 on: 24.05. 2011 21:50 »
A chrome washer may look nicer, blend in with chrome lever. good idea *smile* *smile* *smile*
Andy

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: 25.05. 2011 18:12 »
That's clever...
Mine has made the odd bid for freedom but so far have caught it in time!. I currently have a longer bolt installed with a nut tightened hard on the end to try & maintain the tension.
The idea of keeping it fixed to the shaft is much better though - thanks for sharing it...

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 26.05. 2011 13:35 »
Hi there
Had a bit of a rethink this morning  raining here and decided to improve the look of the modification and made a stainless washer and used a stainless countersink bolt looks much better.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65