Author Topic: Is it inside or outside?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Roadrocket649

• Moving Up
Is it inside or outside?
« on: 05.05. 2011 09:00 »
Hi Guys

The bike is a 1958 BSA A10 Super Rocket

It has on the Left hand side the angled 42-2655 bracket to attach the  silencer  to the footrest

On the Right Hand Side it has the angled 42-2655 (A Group ) bracket also

On the LHS, the bracket is attaching from the outside of the footrest, and angles in ward

On the RHS. the bracket is attaching from the inside (wheel side) of the footrest, and angles outward ward

The front frame locating lug on the silencer was bent out of shape so I had to twist it to locate on the front lug, so I do not know which is the correct way

Currently, I am having problems locating the prop stand and the centre stand with my foot (which is RGS stand), as they are not visible

I believe the bracket on the LHS is on incorrectly, and should be the same as the RHS

Can anyone confirm please

Roadrocket649

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Is it inside or outside?
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2011 10:20 »
Hi Roadrocket649

I would like to confirm your view but I have to use the brackets whichever way is best to achieve the following

1. I need to avoid the kickstart fouling the silencer.
2. I have to make sure there is some clearance between the ex pipe and the through bolt that keeps on the footrest on the drive side
3. I like the pipes to be somewhere near centred with the rear tyre viewed from behind

Sometimes you might have to settle for any two out of three, so yes it would be nice if the brackets were symmetrical and you achieved all the rest but don't beat yourself up trying to get it
It's not uncommon to have to bend the front pipe bracket to get it to fit, highly annoying if at the same time the chrome starts to flake?
Sometimes a spacer in there can help with alignment further back
Good luck with it - keep us up to date
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2011 14:13 »
Hi there.
It seems that fitting new exhausts and silencers nowadays you always have to fiddle around to get things to lign up correctly I restored my Flash some 15 years ago and bought a good make of exhaust and silencers Toga cost then about £180 pounds and had to elongate the holes in the exhaust brackets and silencers to get evrything to lign up correctly. Have just had a similar problem on a recent restoration of an A65 Star had to make distance pieces up to get the exhaust brackets to fit. I wonder if the manufactures ever physically try their products on a real bike before putting on the market, in my youth  which was nearly 50 years ago when you bought a part for a bike wether it was a silencer or any other part it fitted without the need for any additional work. 
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Roadrocket649

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 07.05. 2011 17:38 »
Hi bikerbob/ bsa-bill,

Thanks for your comments

bsa-bill you asked for an update

Well, you were right, whilst it looked better having both brackets going the same way, and the stand came down easier, I could not locate the footrest bracket on the silencer, after having it on and off many times, and using many thicknesses of distances pieces (about 1/4" was the stumbling block)
I think I may cut that 1/4" off the exhaust pipe section before the silencer, then it would fit
Problem is, bare steel would be exposed where I sawed it, and I would guess accelerate corrosion

Ended up, short term, back to square one

Cheers

Roadrocket649