Author Topic: Transfers for a 1955 A7 Shooting Star  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Andrew J

• Moving Up
Transfers for a 1955 A7 Shooting Star
« on: 08.05. 2011 11:00 »
Hi,

I am in the process of restoring a 1955 A7 Shooting Star and I wanted to check with the forum what transfers are required.
I am aware that the oil tank and tool box have the Garter transfer, does the oil tank also have an oil level transfer, and the headstem of the frame does it have the garter transfer as well.
The last one that i am aware of is the "3 rifles with 500cc and twin" on the rear number plate holder.

Could anybody confirm the correct transfers and locations as i am not sure if I am correct.

Thanks in advance

Andy 

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Transfers for a 1955 A7 Shooting Star
« Reply #1 on: 08.05. 2011 14:41 »
These I am quite sure about:
- stacked rifles/garter on the toolbox and oil tank. Watch out to get the correct ones, with "BSA Motor Cycles Ltd." (the early ones say "BSA Cycles Ltd.) and rather pale
   red and yellow (there are some poor repros with uni-colour garter and too strong colours.
- stacked rifles and 500cc TWIN on the number plate carrier
- "OIL LEVEL" on the oil tank (no "MINIMUM" transfer), about 40mm from the top

I'm not sure about the "Made in England" transfers. I think they were fitted in some years only, the later ones iirc. But I have them on each frame downtube, because I like them ;)
I've seen bikes with toolbox transfers on the headstem, but never seen them on period pictures. Dunno whether they had ever been there originally, someone here might know this. I personally think that these are a bit too much anyway.

Cheers, Markus

P.S.: Since you are inwardly trying to sneak into the forum without introducing yourself, I will help you by not causing a big sensation and simply say:

!!!WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.05. 2011 12:02 »
The BSA Owners club have the info if you can get hold of one of their lists or there is the VMCC -  http://www.vmcc.net/vmccshop/scripts/transfers2.asp    All the best Goldy                                                                                                               
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2011 16:16 »
Hi everyone, i'm a new forum member , only registered an hour ago . Had 5 A10's over the last 45 yrs and still love 'em ! Latest rebuilt from parts of my earlier bike ,the frame of which was stolen. Also a BSAoc member so regarding the transfer question I'd go along with Goldy and get the stuff via the BSAoc and if theres a branch near where you live join it they are very helpful and quite cheap. I've got the piled arms on tool bob and oiltank plus a min line on tank and another piled arms on the rear number plate carrier. If you want to age them try a very small dab of solvol on them they fade wonderfully but not much or you'll have a blank transfer.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 11.05. 2011 20:40 »
 Hay Marcus, here's another one sneaking in  *smile*.
G'day Topdad, good of you to join us.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 12.05. 2011 15:57 »
Hi Muskrat,  thanks for the greetings and also the compliment -61yrs old  and still capable of sneaking under the radar!! Nice talking to you ,this forum looks great, best of luck, Bob hebdon Liverpool.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 12.05. 2011 19:08 »
61yrs old  and still capable of sneaking under the radar
lol

Welcome to the forum, Bob. And a welcome (back) to Andrew J.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"