Author Topic: Lightning Spares  (Read 3280 times)

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Lightning Spares
« on: 14.05. 2011 16:29 »
How come in the UK they like to make it so difficult to order?

I would like to treat my bike to some stainless goodies, yet I cant buy them online, Im in the USA so the time difference, not to mention the cost of the international phone calls.

I tried Andy Molnar also and thats just the same if not worst with the extra fees etc
Why cant they just set up so we can buy online and in the long run more people would order and they can make more money?

Perhaps even take paypal

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Lightning Spares
« Reply #1 on: 14.05. 2011 16:44 »
I thought you could. Give him a call. He's very helpful and a real enthusiast.
Cheers,
iain

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 14.05. 2011 17:38 »
drop me a pm and will see what I can price up for you. sending parts all over the world, my own stainless ariel head bolts to USA , norton kick start to Australia, switches to Indonesia oh, and UK too
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline biggee47

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 14.05. 2011 19:07 »
it may be difficult buying stuff  from across the 'pond 'but its a two way street...  I constantly see stuff on fleebay.com ie the US one and they wont ship out of their own country!, it apears that for some traders the world stops on their own doorstep. In those circumstances i usually try and find someone else to take my money. The buyer is king.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #4 on: 14.05. 2011 19:25 »
Lightning spares are great folk to deal with, I'm sure theres some reason why they dont do online ordering....just drop him an email and im sure he will sort you out.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline biggee47

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 14.05. 2011 19:34 »
i agree with all the comments about Lightning spares , the original owner  was one of the best and the new guy is trying even harder , with new products etc, He is not however an international conglomerate with dozens of staff, probably does most of the work himself with few staff, im sure that he will deal quite happily with bsa fans in the states. As to dealers charging for punters paying by credit card , who can blaim them . the banks all charge hefty fees. I guess the end user needs to pay if they want the convenience

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 14.05. 2011 22:05 »
there is allways a way I have done crossover trades with forum members on other marque forums, one of my customers has items shipped to his sister stateside and he gets DHL to collect from her. We are only a small family business but take the time . Im sure someone here can help
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline 850norton

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 15.05. 2011 00:48 »
I don't think Brian (lightning Spares) is set up to do secure on-line orders. He will take you credit card info by email; send in part in one, part in the second and the last part in the third. This is of course when you let him know what you need and he gives you the final total.  It worked out well as this way, no one gets all the CC info at once.

I've done that twice; once for the rubber parts for my Starfire and once for the muffler for same.
BTW, I got the muffler from Crewe in Cheshire to here in San Antonio in about 3 days...DHL left notice at my place. As Brian said...they're called Lightning for a reason.

Email them with what you need and Brian or Chris (the wife) will let you know if they have it or not and all the rest. If I'm not mistaken, it's just the two of them doing all the work. HTH
68 BSA B25 Starfire
69 BSA B44 Victor Special
71 BSA A65 Thunderbolt

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.05. 2011 07:11 »
Another option is Lyford Classic Services (check website - email Pat).

I find their service exceptional (consistently), and they have a good range of SS items.

Richard

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 26.05. 2011 14:43 »
Hi everyone, Lightning is just a husband and wife but very helpful ,members of BSAowners club and He has an a10 which has clocked up an enormous mileage on plus doing a whole range of mods which you can read about on there web site. Nice people also can say the same about lyford as 850norton mentioned I've just finished a rebuild of my gearbox and wouldn't have got all the parts but for those 2 dealers. Th eparts specially made by lydford always fit. Have you seen a company called Barleycorn they provided all my stainless ,all made onsite and excellent quality and price. Hope you get what you're looking for best wishes Bob Hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 26.05. 2011 14:50 »
Hi everyone, Lightning is just a husband and wife but very helpful ,members of BSAowners club and He has an a10 which has clocked up an enormous mileage on plus doing a whole range of mods which you can read about on there web site. Nice people also can say the same about lyford as 850norton mentioned I've just finished a rebuild of my gearbox and wouldn't have got all the parts but for those 2 dealers. Th eparts specially made by lydford always fit. Have you seen a company called Barleycorn they provided all my stainless ,all made onsite and excellent quality and price. Hope you get what you're looking for best wishes Bob Hebdon.
Completely agree about Lyford and Barleycorn. Haven't used Lightning, haven't needed to....yet.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 26.05. 2011 19:09 »
Hi Everyone

I have purchased few Stainless Steel item from them, Brian and Chris take great pride in their S/S item which are excellent.

Also their spares range is very good.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 20.06. 2011 02:38 »
Sent an email to them with a list of a few bits I want, hope they have them all and now just waiting for a reply.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 20.06. 2011 09:20 »
Lightning Spares also have a range of parts that they have had made locally...some not available anywhere else.  As has been previously mentioned, they are a husband and wife team who know BSA's inside and out and can't be criticised for not being helpful and friendly.

I had occasion to talk to them a few weeks ago and the conversation went onto long distance travel.  Brian told me that they will be attending the BSAOC International Rally in Germany from 16th.-23rd. July.  So if anybody is planning on needing their services around that time make a note that they will be on holiday a few days before and after those dates.

Is there anybody else on this forum going to this years BSAOC "International"?  If so, look out for me and introduce yourself.  It's always good to be able to put a face to a name. 

Beezageezauk.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #14 on: 20.06. 2011 19:53 »
I've had S/S from all three; mostly from Lightning Spares and Brian is one of the most helpful guys in the trade. Never had a problem, great products as reasonable prices. Apart from that he knows one hell of a lot when talking A7/10 (S/A & Plungers) spares and what size/thread/type etc was fitted to what.
Nothing seem too much trouble  *smile*. Lyford's are local and have always been friendly and helpful.
Well trusted.
RoadRunner