Author Topic: grounding out  (Read 1072 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
grounding out
« on: 15.05. 2011 21:01 »
How easy is it to ground out the side stand on left handers? Mine seems to ground even when only slightly lent over.
Its a pattern stand on the original frame mounting and I have 19x3 front and 18x4 rear .Standard forks and shocks.
Surely I can corner harder than this?
Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: grounding out
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2011 21:10 »
post a photo with the stand up.
I run 19 18 on mine and have never ground it. I would have thought that the footrest would dig in first.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2011 21:15 »
You need to fold it in Spyke  *whistle*  *smil*

But seriously, when I used to lay them down a bit it used to always be the tang on the centre stand and the end of the footrest rubber that caught, side stand never caught as far as I can remember.
It will be a pattern part no doubt , might be possible to adjust it a bit by tightening one stud and slacken the other so it swivels around the tube a bit, take care though.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 15.05. 2011 21:49 »
That's a problem of the pattern stands with their wide foot plates. When mounted on the original (welded-on) bracket, the foot plate will sit below the lhs exhaust pipe and hit rather early (not a problem on Goldies and RGSs obviously), I had one on the A10 and suffered the same problem, replaced it by an original one then (these are longer and have no plate attached at the end, see link).

Now it is boots first, then footrest.  *grins*

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=de&site=4&pid=240&id=14782&suchtext=bsa stand&limit=100

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.05. 2011 10:30 »
I have a pattern stand on mine but repositioned the clamp when the the frame was stripped down. It sits under the exhaust downtube now so it's awkward to deploy, but it won't drag. I had a lot of problems with the tang on the c/stand dragging though and ended up doing a cut and shut job on that. To be fair the bike does seem to handle very nicely on 19" wheels with modern rubber fitted, so you are then restricted by the fixed footrests anyway.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2011 16:57 »
Hi there.
 Just a word about side stands particular pattern ones I had one snap on me just a couple of years ago the bike was in for an MOT and the mechanic just flicked out the stand layed the bike over and it just snapped fortunately he managed to stop the bike falling over and causing any damage. I now only use mine when taking the bike in or out of the garage while closing or opening the garage door. I did watch someone a while ago kicking a bike over while on the side stand  so not only was the weight of the bike on the stand but also it had the weight of the rider on it not a good idea.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.05. 2011 21:33 »
Markus isnt part no 831560 for A65 and later Bsa,s and triumphs?
A10 spitfire style

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2011 23:56 »
Could be, I have just picked that link as a quick reference for the shape, haven't checked the numbers. But that's about what it looks like  ;)
Hope I haven't caused too much confusion...
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria