Author Topic: mudguard despair......  (Read 1374 times)

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
mudguard despair......
« on: 24.01. 2011 13:10 »
Hi all, searching for a solution to the non-availability of late A10 rear mudguards, i note a company called CMF do a fiberglass replica (42-6904).Has anyone any experience of these and are they recommended (considering there are no other real options!)or are fiberglass mudguards a no-no.....?(Please PM any neg comments)
The problem here may be that pillion passenger weight has to be borne to some extent by the guard- i believe this is the reason few late guards survive as the bracing inside for the passenger weight trapped mud and water and ensured an early demise for the guard itself...but a fiberglass replica reinforced with a suitable steel (or s/s ?) brace .......Any observations appreciated, Bob.

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: mudguard despair......
« Reply #1 on: 24.01. 2011 13:59 »
Hi Bob

If you cannot find a restorable steel guard at autojumbles or ebay then fibreglass is the only real option. As you know, there is a brace under the seat mount which could be replaced by a thicker one or alternatively go down the RGS road and buy or make angle brackets which pick up on the guard mounts which are in turn already bolted to a plate bolted to the frame.

Good luck with it

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 24.01. 2011 15:15 »
Bob. I think you would be better with a steel repro. One on Ebay at the moment Item No 230576216664. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 24.01. 2011 22:06 »
Thanks Goldy, I`ve seen that one but its the earlier type up to and including 1959, they are available, made in India I think.The type i need is a 1960 on with the arrowhead type stays.There are several differences to the mounting system and the seat mounting arrangement, and I think the actual profile is different, possibly more rounded.Nobody seems to have reproduced the later type in steel so far.Perhaps the Indian company making the earlier type will make some of the later ones- they make petrol tanks for Ariel Square Fours!I would have thought there would be more late A10`s needing mudguards than Sq 4`s needing tanks!!, cheers, Bob.

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 08.06. 2011 22:39 »
1660bob, Im in the same boat as you, I found a late type front mudguard from Wes Scott Cycles here in Fort Lauderdale Florida, but no luck in rear, especially looking for the late type British market as its longer than the US version.
Ive been asking around and found a company in UK, they told me that the original press mold was scrapt, even asked SRM (they said if more people would request it theyd make it, PLEASE REQUEST  *respect*) and there has been no luck so far.

The only place I find them (have not the luxury of autojumbles here) is on ebay.co.uk but theyre expensive and found a nice one but sadly didnt have the money to make a bid.

Goodluck and if you find a place that sells a new late type steel guard let me know.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 09.06. 2011 13:26 »
Hi Bob , have you ruled out chrome /stainless guards ? I know they are a bit more expensive but they are good quality ,I fitted them to my A10 (with arrow head type stanchions ) and have been on now for 8 yrs still look good . I got 'em from Burton bike bits  and I'm sure they just had another load made,worth a call they may have metal ones as well, best of luck ,Bob hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 09.06. 2011 19:52 »
TOPDAD, are those for the Goldie or are they the late type with arrow stays?
Because, Ive tried them also and no luck.
They do have NOS but for the type previous.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 13.06. 2011 11:45 »
Sorry for delay in answering ,been busy with work ,it wiil keep interfering!! The guards are goldie style with arrow head stanchions all bits including the bracket at the back of the gear box were bought at the same time and all fitted better than you dared hope for .As I said they have been in use for 8-9yrs this year and still look great no splits or fatique lines near brackets or where i've drilled for wires and seat bracket ,even the wire supports to the rear light  are still in good shape . Hope that is of help just e-mail me if you need to discuss regards Bob Hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom