Author Topic: Swing arm silent bloc bushes  (Read 5630 times)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Swing arm silent bloc bushes
« Reply #15 on: 17.05. 2011 11:28 »
I have my blocs out by using the cut spindle drill rubber melt rubber collapse bloc using a drift and hammer out using big drift technique.....but im waiting for new blocs so new ones not in yet

I'm not looking forward to fitting them given the comments here

How can one sure the new bushes will be the right size?

My Reason for replacement was the spindle was worn where it fits through the frame holes i guess as the spindle was not tightened enough? This causing play on the swing arm assuming the spindle cannot be done up so tight it cannot move and to get things apart I had to cut the old spindle

I would advise not to attempt to force the spindle out of the old blocs as the frame can be easily distorted around the holes ask me how I know

The frame holes have too much clearance on the new spindle for my liking on my bike but I'll make a very thin bush if necessary maybe 010 wall thickness to get rid of the clearance
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 17.05. 2011 11:38 »
Usually you have to spring the frame slightly and use a blade to cut through the spindle.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 17.05. 2011 12:43 »
My experience is that they never need to be replaced and people find them difficult to remove, difficult to find new and difficult to replace.

But don't let that put you off.  There are probably prizes for "best powder-coated swing arm" at prestigious events.

Offline 850norton

• Active
« Reply #18 on: 17.05. 2011 13:45 »
850norton,

I suppose there may be several ways to get them out but I know two. One is explained by bsa-bill earlier in this thread. My method was to use a reciprocating saw with a hack-saw blade to cut through the inner sleeve, then set fire to the rubber (I do believe the statute of limitationsis is up on any crime that might have been). Then, the inner sleeve came out fairly easily. Then, sawed through the outer sleeve, prised it up and it loosend adequately to be pulled out.

As far as WD40 damaging the rubber goes, I am quite certain there is no concern there. I am also quite certain that it won't make the installation of the bushes any easier if they are of the oversized variety. If they are sized with about a 0.001" to 0.0015" interference fit, they might go in with gentle urging if the bushings are first frozen and the swingarm well heated. But I am just speculating on this, since my own exereince was just south of WWIII.  

Richard L.

I had heard of the method and amy give that a try....the WD40 I was thinking if the bushes were correst size, not oversized like I had been hearing of earlier in the thread.

68 BSA B25 Starfire
69 BSA B44 Victor Special
71 BSA A65 Thunderbolt

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 17.05. 2011 19:29 »
i think unity equip do an a10 conversion to the manx sleeve type bush setup.its somewhere in their catalogue.
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #20 on: 18.05. 2011 14:08 »
H
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #21 on: 18.05. 2011 14:26 »
Hi everyone Bob hebdon, newish to forum so hope you don't mind my 2 pennyworth on this! I've had 2 experiences with these b****Y things thankfully seperated by nearly 35 yrs. First one done in bedroom ( you do these things in strange places when you're only 16 ) fortunately only had to fit 'em and the went in easy using long threaded bar ,nuts and various washers plus lot's of washing up fluid. 2nd time time ,well I nearly pulled the shed apart heaving and straining etc ,gave up went to a local bike shop and he ,after nearly an hour pushed out and new one's back in using the shops large press .The pressure required he said was off the clock and we heard the bang when they gave way nearly 40 feet away and through 3 closed doors .Don't seem to recall a step inside it and he didn't mention one to me. I'd only do if nescessary ,however, if they need doing and you're going to get the swinging arm powder coated I'd do it after as I have been told the heat of the process will definately kill the new bushes, best wishes Bob.
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 18.05. 2011 14:37 »
Hi Bob - you beat me to the post as I had short reply to your even shorter first half pennies worth *smile*

You can pull a mailing back and alter it with "modify" ( top right of the posting window)
I use that a lot due to my secondary modern education in spelling, thankfully though we have spell checkers to help to some degree.

My first restoration definitely had a shoulder, the last one though ( a 59 I think maybe didn't )
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #23 on: 15.06. 2011 17:11 »
Hi Bill only just seen your post don't remember doing that ......must be my age, regards Bob.
United Kingdom