Author Topic: No Spark  (Read 3236 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
No Spark
« on: 18.05. 2011 21:27 »
I have just picked up a Super Rocket rebuilt a while ago but sold to me as the chap could not get it to run (he bought it running) Anyway ? sump full of oil now drained, kicked her over with the plugs out, no recognisable spark over the plug gap .025?? Checked the plug caps said 10K Ohm which I took off and held lead close to head, reasonable spark! Can anyone tell whether the caps should have resistance, also not happy about the plugs NGK B8E S even though they seem new? What is the best combination ? lead, cap and plug?

Thanks Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: No Spark
« Reply #1 on: 18.05. 2011 22:10 »
Hi Nigel
If your running on a magneto then resistor plugs are not recommended
As for the plugs your "even though they seem new" is a telling remark, change them.
try champoin N4 or N3
The  BP8E s plug are extended nose, the theory being that they stick down a bit further in the combustion chamber and get burnt clean, could be they've been too hot or more likely just another case of dud new plugs
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 18.05. 2011 22:18 »
So non resistive plug caps too?
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.05. 2011 22:42 »
Nigel,
              Get rid of the resistor caps and set the plug gaps to 0.018" - 0.020".

Trev.

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 19.05. 2011 01:28 »
I put new champion L82C's into my flash when I finished my rebuild, they lasted about a mile!  My original ones that were on the bike when I got it are champion l86c.  NGK recommends a b7es plug, anyone using these?  I do know also that even if you can see a spark while sitting the plug on the head, it does not translate to a strong spark once installed. 

Those plug testers would be very handy here.

Cheers,
Hubie
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2011 09:18 »

Thanks to our modern "petrol" if the plugs get wet from a rich mixture and cold engine scenario they wont work. I had this on my own flash. I went to the hotter NGK B6 and the problem stopped. The B7's were prone to failure a few seconds after start up while the engine was warming up. As you have 8.5:1 compression and an iron head, you might need B7's it depends how it runs, if it pinks [ pings - pre -ignites - detonates] on B6's go to B7's.

Definately no resistors caps.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19.05. 2011 12:14 »
NGK recommends a b7es plug, anyone using these? 
Hubie

I'm using B8ES which seem fine to me.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 19.05. 2011 21:27 »
I've ordered some NGK caps with no resistance and will replace the HT leads while I am at it. I'll also give all the connections a good clean down to the mag and see how I get on. As the plugs where out, I thought I would check the compression. Throttle open, 3 of 4 kicks LHS 160 and RHS 170 PSI pheeeeeeeew hard to kick is this normal for 8.5:1?

Regards

Nigel

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 20.05. 2011 11:03 »
With the throttle wide open it is.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.05. 2011 12:34 »

The  B8E s plug are extended nose,

I don't think they are.  ES means a longer threaded portion.  HS is the short type suitable for most iron-head bikes.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.05. 2011 18:05 »
Yep your right - typo, I missed the P, moded my post to avoid any confusion.
I bought a couple after trying two of a set from a car I had many moons ago (Fiesta I think) couldn't use them full time cause they also have an R
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 20.05. 2011 21:27 »
Thanks Guys for all the info. Once I get the new caps I will have another go.  In the mean time, I thought I would check the timing on my OIF Lightning - really weird problem popped up. Last night I set up the twin carbs, all working fine. Today pushed it out of the garage and she ran terribly, intermittent on LH cylinder (I wanted to check the timing). Hmm strange I thought, anyway put the strobe (battery powered) on and sure RHS a bit advanced adjusted. Put the strobe on the LHS miss firing - intermittent flashing from strobe, checked points, checked leads, checked coils etc strobe still not working and running on RH cylinder only. Ahhhhhhh another simple job taking hours.!

Well went and got one of the A10 8ES plugs, put the cap on it from the LHS, sparking fine errrrrrrrrrrrr! Juup the plug in the LHS had gone duff and the strobe could not pick up the current/voltage. What a waste of time - put the A10 plug in the LHS and ran on both clyinders no problem. The duff plug was a wet 8ES!! I would have expected the strobe to work but it didn?t, you live and learn

Set the timing on the LHS and all seemed fine, then?????.the  RH carb  started flooding, petrol pouring out of the tickler! At this point I turned the petrol off and pushed it back in the garage. Dragged my old Plunger A10 out and went for a lovely ride ? I do love this bike, easy to start, easy to ride and simply a joy!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #12 on: 20.05. 2011 23:52 »
Trying not to sound like a broken record but
FUEL IS NOT PETROL
FUEL IS NOT PETROL
FUEL IS NOT PETROL

Old style plugs were designed to burn petrol not fuel.
The will go bad at a moments notice without any form of rhyme or reason.
In any problem always suspect the plugs as suspect No 1
Confirm by checking with a plug that is currently running , not one that worked yesterday or is new out of the box.
A new fresh out of the box plug will go short in one kick if the engine is cold, fuel ( not petrol ) is cold and in particular if you have been kicking for a while so there is excess fuel ( not petrol) in the cylinder.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 21.05. 2011 09:40 »
I think your getting through to us Trevor - fuel is not petrol

but but but -  modern petrol engines use plugs, are they made different from our plugs, if so are there  modern equivalents?. are iridium plugs better?
All the best - Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #14 on: 22.05. 2011 09:54 »
Yes.
And modern engines have all sorts sensors in there to constantly vary air fuel ratios so the the crud can be burned as best as possible.
Also there is next to zerro profit in selling standard plugs so there is not much in the way of quality control with standard plugs.
Bike Beesa
Trevor