Author Topic: SR kick starter jammimg  (Read 1499 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
SR kick starter jammimg
« on: 19.05. 2011 22:03 »
My kick starter is jamming on my SR when it springs back and I need to rock the bike in gear to free it off. Before I start tearing the gearbox to bits has anyone got any tips.

Thanks Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: SR kick starter jammimg
« Reply #1 on: 19.05. 2011 22:52 »
Nigel,

Is the kickstart shaft sloppy through the bushing in the outer cover? Is the outer bushing still a tight fit in the cover. I am emabarrased to say that I let mine go with the outer bushing working its way toward the kickstart lever. Eventually, the quadrant spindle broke at the inner bushing. Even with it broken it would engage the ratcheting pinion and let me start the bike, but it also jammed up, sort of like you are saying. I didn't realize this is what was happening until the outer cover broke away around the bushing. These comments could be titled, "What I Did Last Summer", or, "How I Learned About A10's the Hard Way", or "A10's for Dumberers, an Autobiography".   

Richard L. 

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.05. 2011 07:15 »
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info. I?ve noticed there is a spacer between the kick start crank and the outer gearbox cover ? perhaps to stop the bush moving? I will take the crank off tonight and have a look.

Re your comments, this is exactly what I find great here, Ahh the stories I could tell (with a red face), I have wasted so much time either going down the wrong track with a wrongly diagnosed a problem, this time, I thought I would ask first!

Thanks

Nigel

1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.05. 2011 10:28 »
Hi Nigel
I think the spacer is also to support the spring centre.
For quite some time it was only possible to get the Kick start ratchet  and not the ratchet pinion ( I could have that vise versa )
Now you can get both so it's worth looking at the state of them, the ratchet pinion takes a fare old beating, the ratchet and quadrant don't seem to wear so bad.
My Project very occasionally jams as do both of my mates bikes so it's not uncommon, My flash doesn't so there you go, I do have new ratchet pinions for both of them when the opportunity comes along I'll change them
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.05. 2011 12:04 »
Nigel,

Please, also,  search the forum for "quadrant pointy" (without quotes).  If you recently replaced either the quadrant or the pinion there may be an issue with the tooth shapes.  Yes,  I also had this problem when replacing the quadrant.  

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 20.05. 2011 12:40 »
Hi Nigel, just rebuilt my old A10 box , the kickstart ratchet etc are as stated in the earlier post available ,I got 1 from Dragonfly and the other from Lyford classic services -01773768900 ,the latter great service AND there parts fit! Believe me quite a few don't. The owner will talk through what you're doing and help .  Re the quadrant there is a quite thick washer that fits between the quadrant and over the inner end of the k/start bush I think it's to save wear on the outer cover. My own hadn't slipped once when starting but you should have seen the state the ratchet was in ,deep wear and tear but never jammed, so can only assume yours is worse and i'm afraid sounds like spanner time!! Having done the works to this box I can say that everything is available or fixable . I got a new mainshaft and had the layshaft ground smaller with oversize g/box bushes made by SRM ,great job and reasonable price all in and postage £ 115 . All bushes easy to get and fit just the reaming that can be a pain but easy once you get into it. Hope you don't need to go that far regards Bob 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.05. 2011 17:57 »
Ah good point there Richard L, I have one of those square toothed quadrants, funny though without trying I have managed to get two ratchet pinions one pointy and one with squareish bottoms between teeth.
The square toothed quadrant seems to engage with it nicely (might be different once installed), both came from Draganfly
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco