Author Topic: Doesn't Know It All  (Read 2037 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Doesn't Know It All
« on: 03.02. 2008 16:33 »
Gents,

I know that I have been making a lot of posts on this forum, seemingly responding to every technical question. In fact I don't, many I just sit back, read, absorb and learn. Examples would include such things as carburetor jet sizes and other fine-tuning topics and things that require much more experience than I have. I think I have learned whom among you, and also others in the world, are far more expert than I in things "A". Please know that I don't mean to, and hope I don't, dominate the forum. I spend a lot of time in my regular job telling Audio/Video contractors how to install systems our firm designs, so, explaining in detail has become a (bad?) habit. Don't forget, it's freezing here!

I always like our discussions, keep'm comin'!

Richard 
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Doesn't Know It All
« Reply #1 on: 04.02. 2008 09:00 »
Richard, only rule here is that posts should be motorcycle and\or "A" related (your posts definitely are), and that spammers and fake adverts will never dominate anything. Some post a few lines, some post longer stories, some read all, some just read the answers to their questions, etc, some ride their A a lot, some a few miles now and then in good weather, some have a restored and shining bike, some are starting with a rusty frame, all are welcome here to discuss and show their interest for this great BSA model.

Regards
e

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 04.02. 2008 21:38 »
Richard,
If one can combine 35 years' experience, lifelong curiosity, a measure of self-deprecation, and a good sprinkling of humour with a tangible love of the subject, without being holier than thou or smug or patronising or any of those other bad things, one can travel anywhere with impunity. It's a great mix and nothing to be bashful about. All the best to you and keep 'em coming.
Incidentally, had a great debate yesterday (for which read 'friendly argument over hot wine' at the mid-point of our regular 1st Sunday 40-bike trundle round the rural parts of my adopted land)) with 3 French mates about the relative merits of A7s and A10s. I am the only on-the-road A10 in my local club, a foreigner, only recently re-addicted, relatively ignorant and never had an A7 - they're all three of them long-standing A7-ites. Their point was - 'Why are you English so obsessed with cc's? - it's perfectly clear to anyone of the meanest intelligence that the thing was designed as a 500, works perfectly as one and if it had been French, we'd have been delighted with it without 'spoiling' it just to keep up with T and Norton in the capacity stakes'.
What could I say?! I exempt all those blessed with other lieux de naissance from my English disease, obviously . . . but does size REALLY matter? Is my A10 really an agricultural implement disguised as a motorcycle, compared with its smaller sister? Give me the words and I'll beat them all up next month because I'm bigger than them! Groily.
Bill

Offline flatdeck

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 05.02. 2008 03:32 »
Hate to say it but .... here goes .... the A7 sounds sweeter IMHO. I am listening to a longstroke early A7 with twin carbs though*smile*
Dave
NZBSAOC
1949 A7 Star Twin
Kent, U.K. then Auckland, N.Z.

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 05.02. 2008 07:57 »
Yes, I agree that the A7 makes more sense than the A10 for classic riders today. Back in the '60s I would probably have been a rocker on a caff racer A10 with the rest of them but these days I treat the old machinery with respect so I rarely cruise at more than about 55mph. Lots of A10 riders ride at similar speeds, which they could do just as well on the smoother, lower stressed A7. I wish I still had my old Shooting Star as it was in my opinion the best of all the A series twins.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 05.02. 2008 09:56 »
Where you live and what sort of roads you ride on probably have a influence on what bike suits you. I have a plunger A7 and a plunger A10 and have done many thousands of miles on both of them and the A10 is my favorite. It is just as smooth and easy to live with as the A7 but has the extra power if you travel any distances and encounter hills or head winds. Where I live probably favours the A10 though, most of my miles are on the highway at 60 to 65mph, not many nice windy roads around here. I have recently bought a swing arm A10, 61' model which is a higher state of tune, 9 to 1 compression, 357 cam etc. As would be expected it is a lot more powerful than the plunger A10 but of course harder to live with, even starting it is requires some effort [I'm 95kgs and can stand on the kickstart without it moving]. However it is good fun to ride, goes like buggery. I have only done just over 2000 miles on it so havent had time to make up my mind completely.
I guess everybody has a favorite but I definitely would go with the plunger A10 at this stage. I'm in the process of restoring a 50' twin carby Star Twin so it will be interesting to see what thats like when its finished.
I should add that I have other BSA's, B33, M21 etc and they are all plunger models, I love them.
At the end of the day though as long as you enjoy riding your bike it really doesnt matter what it is, providing its a A model BSA of course.
                                                                      Brian.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 05.02. 2008 17:38 »
I'm pretty heavy too Brian, which is why I got an A10! Open roads and no traffic, but I hardly use the main ones, preferring to run along at 55-60 mph at the lowest revs I can get away with (bigger gearbox sprocket) without having to fit rearsets and cripple myself in middle age. Not having ever had an A7, and not currently having any other BSA either, I can't really judge - except that the A7s I see here really are sweet-running and do everything their owners ask, whether they be plunger or s/arm. Also extremely reliable. I mean extremely, as in most reliable of the several hundred steeds in our classic club. Their view reflects the view I often heard when I was young and impressionable, that 500s are what to go for if you want a twin, whatever the marque. Speed Twin not Thunderbird, Dommie 88 for choice, G9 Matchless ditto, etc etc. Seems to be a balance in favour of that perspective here, too. But what the heck, they're all great and I'd readily give all and any of them house-room if I could! But next on my list is something with girders, as I've never ever had a set of my very own apart from a very rare French 98cc cyclemotor (!) which is in bits in the shed (but when I ride other people's I'm green with envy for days). Groily
Bill

G/F DAVE

« Reply #7 on: 05.02. 2008 21:52 »
Have to say that over the years I have had several A10s swing arm & plunger but no rigid model (I,d love one though) I reckon I have now the best running  engine of the lot. I have a plunger motor with a big journal DA10 crank & 356 camshaft and I am running low comp pistons 7-1.This motor will really accelerate & you can feel the rear plunger suspension dig in as you do so. Recently I followed a old boy in his new 4x4 nissan diesel around a roundabout he must have been near 70 yrs old and he was going really slow on purpose to hold me up & he happen to take the same junction as me, once on the straight he floored this nissan black smoke everywhere I pushed him up to ninety miles an hour sitting on his rear bumper could of overtaken him of course but was much more fun to see his face in his side mirror  I reckon that he hasnt been that fast since.I have had some nice A10s but this motor does not like to be highly tuned.I know that I will upset some of you but if you want a fast A10 build a TRI-BSA brilliant handling with a motor you can tune & rev with cheap parts to boot.only downside is these triumph motors rattle unlike A10s. *smile* Dave.......

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #8 on: 05.02. 2008 23:40 »
Seems like the 7-1 and the 356 cam is a good set up for the plunger motor Dave, mine is the same. The only difference I have is a 30mm concentric carby. When I bought mine someone had ported out the inlet tract to 30mm and it had a buggered 1 1/16" sidebowl on it at the time so I bought a new concentric and put on it. I went through a lot of trouble to sort out the carby properly but thats another story [I might start a new post in tech topics on that one] Anyway the end result is a very sweet running motor.   Brian.

Offline flatdeck

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 06.02. 2008 20:43 »
Hey Brian, Love to see some pics of your 50 Star Twin resto since I am doing the same 'cept it's a 49 - pretty much the same I would have thought. Best wishes, Dave
Dave
NZBSAOC
1949 A7 Star Twin
Kent, U.K. then Auckland, N.Z.

Offline Pim

• Moving Up
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: 12.02. 2008 21:24 »
To get back on topic, NO!....

Simple as that:)
I just started in the "A" world, and have to learn a lot. And I guess that nobody ever has all the "correct" knowledge, as part is based on opinion. You have helped me out, and isn't that what this forum is all about? sharing knowledge, stories and interests? And from what I have read you fit that discription:)

So keep it on!
Slow but steady...