Author Topic: Silence the silencers ?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
Silence the silencers ?
« on: 08.02. 2008 18:52 »
Helloa again,
My next call for assiatnce is regarding the silencers (mufflers). I have just come over  a couple of used original mufflers for a Golden Flash -52, they are as the seller clearly stated without any interior damping whstsoever, thoguh quite alright on the outside.

I thought I should stuff some "silencing-wool" in them,which would be sufficient to clear the MOT and create a bearable sound.
The question is, does anyone have an idea on how to stop the wool from being blown out ?
I have been playing with the thought of sticking a tube with some built in stopper into the rear of the muffler, but I would like to avoid to drill a hole in the muffler to fatsten the inner tube.

Any other ideas on how to solve the problem ?

Nitti
Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !
BSA Golden Flash-53 with Sidecar

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Silence the silencers ?
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2008 19:37 »
If they're original equipment Nitti, why not try to get the MOT with them in place unmodified? They might not be THAT loud, and I'm not sure what the UK decibel limit is these days. You aren't going to be running it at full blast under load at the MOT station are you? Holding wire wool and brillo pads in, and other stuff, isn't trivial. They also collect moisture which means rust from within, and they may provide more back-pressure than the carburettor is tuned for on the open road. Sympathetic testers surely exist over there, who appreciate seeing and hearing something that looks and sounds how it was made? They must exist, as many of my UK mates run things that are pretty rorty. I don't know, as I haven't been for one of those meaningless UK MOTs for years and years, but I am sure that original equipment on original machinery can and should be OK. If it were me, which it isn't, and if there were a prob with the MOT, I'd shove anything on to get it passed and then revert to what it should have. Yes, the police get all excited about Japayamakawas running around at 12,000 rpm with after-market illegal exhausts in the countryside, but they'll leave you alone on an A10, almost for certain. I'd just go for it, subject to better advice from UK residents who've fallen foul . . . Groily
Bill

G/F DAVE

« Reply #2 on: 09.02. 2008 08:53 »
Nitti, I cant see a problem with a mot using original pipes, most mot stations look for bs stamps on post 1983 bikes. I run a pair of silencers from feked .com on my A10 nice & loud always passes mot.Groily is right about police etc on british roads Iv,e had police motorcycles follow me  before stopping me  just to see what bike I,m riding. Most seem to like the exhaust note. I passed my bike test on a A10 combo even the examiner commented that is was nice to hear a proper bike. I to would go for it, worst they can do is give you a advisory note. Dave...

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2008 10:09 »
Hi,
Actually I'm not that worried about the MOT guys, they are normally very understanding, though I might stretch their passion for old bikes a bit this time.

The mufflers I bought are really and completely empty, basically they are just straight pipes . I have not listened to the tune from them yet, but I guess it will be quite loud, something I do not mind but the passenger in the sidecar might have another preference in  music  *smiley4*

Nitti

Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2008 13:48 »
Hi Nitti, as you say, the guys doing the inspection will surely be concentrating on enjoying the view, and unless it's way over the top, not mind any extra sound. Then it's up to you to evaluate if it's a nice, loud sound, or an annoying loud noise *smile* . Some riding 'the american brand' seems to have tendencies to go for the latter  ;) .
If you opt to try dampening down the silencers a little, I might have some ideas. And I got some excellent silencers from BAS at a very decent price some years ago, if you think about getting new ones.

e.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 09.02. 2008 19:35 »
Hei a10gf,

Loud and straight pipes from a parallell twin is lovely music to my ears irrepective of dB generated, so I will definately start by sticking my "empty" mufflers, just to enjoy the sound.

The mufflers I bought is considered a "gap filler", since they are quite scratched, and they are actually for a rigid frame A10. So, when the "big restoration adventure" starts next autumn I intend to replace the mufflers, that I bought quite cheap.
Therefor I'm very interested in the proposition you presented, cncering the BAS mufflers !

Nitti
Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.02. 2008 23:44 »
I think I can echo (no acoustic play on words intended) Nitti's comments. I'm afraid I like the loud from the shorty mufflers you see on my bike. I guess this is what Erling means by "the American brand." It doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear what the stock ones sound like. Someday I'll get some.

Richard