Author Topic: Gearbox layshaft and bushes worn out  (Read 1519 times)

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Gearbox layshaft and bushes worn out
« on: 31.05. 2011 09:36 »
Hi all

My A10 rebuild is throwing up a few horrors, one of which is the gearbox layshaft which is quite badly worn, as are the bushes. I was really hoping to get the engine finished within the next week, but this is a problem. SRM quote £111 (+VAT) to regrind and rebush, which I don't think is too bad really, but they have a "2-3 week" turn around time - I phoned them this morning. My experience of turn-around times is that it will always be much longer than quoted (at other companies, not at SRM who I haven't used in 25 years) so before I decide to either rebuild the 'box as it is and redo it in the winter, or wrap it up and send to SRM, are there any other companies that do this locally or otherwise? (I'm Herts/Essex borders based).

EDIT: Oops - just realised that I should have posted this in the separate gearbox section - didn't realise that  the Forum was a pre-unit one too!  *smile*
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gearbox layshaft and bushes worn out
« Reply #1 on: 31.05. 2011 10:02 »
Hi there
Assuming your A10 is swinging arm.
New Layshafts available from Draganfly and Lyford Classics. (circa £80 ish plus vat and postage)
Lyford also do a reduced size blind bush, so you get your old  layshaft tidied up to fit

SRM sound reasonable, presume there's VAT and other cost to add.

This VAT rise seems to make a hell of a difference these days or is it just my 50% Scots blood
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 31.05. 2011 10:24 »
Hi , re your box perhaps this info will help. I've just done a complete rebuild ,my layshaft was so badly worn that it had to have the shaft reground and oversize bushes . I checked the market 'cause I had a few bob ( now the box is done considerably less ) and couldn't find a new layshaft anywhere, so considered other options and having used SRM they quoted same price and talked through what they could do especially depth of case hardening weakening shaft etc. they as usual were able to put my mind at ease so off went the box ,it arrived back within 2 weeks really good job infact the best bit of the rebuild everything else turned into a nightmare even down to the new (brand new ) mainshaft which I got from Dragonfly ,it was .025 underground so bearing and inner case wouldn't bed properly and I wasted weeks getting it sorted ,even resorted to using my old shaft in the end  and that sorted it . Giving Dragonfly there due once I'd sent it back they resized it and returned with new bearing FOC with apologises. so I'm now the owner of a complete box in bike  and a complete box needing everything replaced,I'm goner rebuild this slowly over the next year and I will diff be using SRM again for the layshaft as I have complete trust in them. hope this helps you decide Regards Bob hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 31.05. 2011 10:28 »
Hello again, re the last post and comments i forgot to mention Lyford ,they are great and there parts fit ,really quick as well regards bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 31.05. 2011 12:58 »
I had my gearbox re-built by a friend who repairs BSA boxes as a kind of semi retirement hobby. He has all the kit necessary and does a great job, he must have enough good serviceable or NOS parts to re-build a hundred gearboxes. I contacted a well known northern gearbox repairer and was quoted four weeks and £50 just to strip mine. My friend turned mine around in 3 days, and it works a treat. He fitted new bushes, bearings, seals and replaced any worn gears / dogs with un worn or NOS parts He can even polish the front case to a professional standard and replate any galv items if required. I think its brilliant that these skills are still being practiced in home workshops, he's an enthusiast rather than doing it for the money, and he won't do anything but BSA boxes. All done, mine cost about half the price of a commercial rebuild.

PM me for contact details
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
« Reply #5 on: 31.05. 2011 14:01 »

PM me for contact details

PM sent!

Thanks for the feedback and other ideas - much appreciated. PM sent, and if that doesn't work out, I'll send it to SRM. I suppose after just leaving my A10 festering in a corner of the garage for 10 years, I can't moan now at a 2-3 week delay!

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #6 on: 31.05. 2011 20:23 »
Contact sent. Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
« Reply #7 on: 31.05. 2011 20:46 »
Contact sent. Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Thanks for the contact... and what a nice guy he is too. We had a right good nattter. I went to school just down the road from where he lives. Anyway, gearbox will be sent up to him tomorrow. Thanks once again for your help with this.
 *smile*