Author Topic: To glue, or not to glue - that is the question.. (gaskets I mean!)  (Read 2722 times)

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Hi all

Sorry to be asking so many questions here, but after neglecting my BSA for a decade, I seem to have forgotten loads about it! (All my recent experience is of racing two stroke twins)

Anyway, what is the consensus on here regarding gaskets and gasket glue? I know we all have our favourite sealants, but when using gaskets I think I used to use red hematite on one side of the BSA gaskets, and grease on the other. The gasket set I have now seems far better quality than the old paper gaskets - so what to do - glue or not?

1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
I tend to use sealer on one side and grease the other as well with good results, except that is when it comes to the rocker box so i now use silicone on that gasket and use fingers and wire through the rocker covers to get the push rods in place to avoid ruining the sealer which the proper comb seems to do every time.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Same as Rich really,
Engine side with high temp wheel bearing grease and cover side with blue Hylomar.
Seems to work well for me
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Thanks guys - seems my memory of the best way forwards was right.  *smile* Glueing up one side does make sense.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Whatever works on your racers should work on the BSA anyway.  I also tend to use grease one side but never liked that red Hermetite stuff as it's a pain to clean off when baked hard.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
does anyone remember golden hermetite ,i used to use that on the rocker box 2 sets of gaskets one to the bottom of the r/box then the other set to the head leave to set for 10 min's then a/ if mate around with long fingers He'd fit pushrods in no comb, if not use the comb as gaskets stuck they don't breakup or move only was usually the only bit that was oiltight!! Only problem now is can't find anyone who stocks it or as even heard of it, regards Bob hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
Since getting my Rocket 3 I have also been frequenting the Triples Online forum and one of the members highly recommends Loctite 2020, not a gasket 'glue' so this seems a bit odd. He sprays both sides of the gasket and bolts up, reckons he never gets any oil leaks anywhere.

I wonder if he's tried breaking a joint after use,  *conf*.
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Good point that, but that rocket box is a b****r to keep oil tight.
Just realised that you are not too far from me. I go to Louis' cafe at Kit Hill near Callington on Sunday mornings with a bunch of classic mates. One guy who I've seen there has recently bought a BSA Rocket 3, maybe it was you? He had an RGS rep but think he sold it. I sometimes turn up with one of my other bikes, Ducati or BMW.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
One guy who I've seen there has recently bought a BSA Rocket 3, maybe it was you? He had an RGS rep but think he sold it. I sometimes turn up with one of my other bikes, Ducati or BMW.
Alan

Well it wasn't me as my R3 is in bits at the moment, but I think I know him if his name is Dave and he's from Callington.

Might come over one Sunday, will likely be on my Harley as its the only one that can be ridden just now. What sort of time do you get there?
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
[Well it wasn't me as my R3 is in bits at the moment, but I think I know him if his name is Dave and he's from Callington.

Might come over one Sunday, will likely be on my Harley as its the only one that can be ridden just now. What sort of time do you get there?

That name rings a bell.
We normally drift in from 10 am onwards. The 1st Sunday morning of each month sees most classic bikes there since that is the day the Cornwall VMCC boys visit.
This is assuming the weather is not raining and the bikes are working course!
I was on my way this last Sunday but the BSA decided to stop just at the entrance to the Saltash tunnel. Fuel blockage. Some of the boys stopped the traffic to let me turn around and retreat back home.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
does anyone remember golden hermetite ..... Only problem now is can't find anyone who stocks it or as even heard of it, regards Bob hebdon.

Still available Bob: here for example
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
There is a gold coloured Loctite sealer, at the moment I'm using a Black coloured Loctite sealer, smells strong but it has sealed my problematic Rocker Box ( with the help of two thickness's of gasket), also just used it on the alloy sump plate that refused to seal, time will tell if that is sorted, I could see no reason why it leaked althoug gasket,mesh,gasket, alloy plate is a lot of surface.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Thanks Ian, I've used the link and bingo thought you'd answered my prayers but no it's discontinued ,many thanks for your help, regards Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Sorry about that. Google does throw up some other possibilities so you may be lucky and find some old stock somewhere.

I must say I always use Wellseal on one side of gaskets and grease on the other. Works for me.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
I use Wellseal, whether I use it on one or both sides depends on the likelyhood of leaks!  Haven't had to try & remove it where I've done both sides yet though!! It's much better than the red Hemetite which gets all over the place when you're trying to apply it and is a right b*gg*r to get off again once it's hardened...

My A10 used to leak like the Torrey Canyon when I first got it, it's a lot less incontinent now thanks to Wellseal...

Cheers,
Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...