Author Topic: This minute  (Read 813 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
This minute
« on: 18.06. 2011 19:38 »
Kind'a like twitter.  Nvr stop for chkn sndwch.  Rt leg gettitng big as trex.  Bggr ain't srtn aftr butfl run.  Sweating through the clothes.  Gvng it a brk.  Mor latr.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: This minute
« Reply #1 on: 18.06. 2011 21:32 »
Home. Required wait time before it started = the time it took to post the last message + one Coke. I think it tends to flood on shut down, but can't say I know why. Alternative answer might be the notorious bad capacitor when warm, but don't understand why that would allow for starting at other times when warm. The capacitor is only 55 years old, I don't know why it should go bad.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 18.06. 2011 21:46 »
Good you made it back home.
Didn't you shut the fuel tap during your chicken sandwich break? I can't imagine why it should flood only when warm.
A simple check is to wait until dark, take the magneto end cap off, start the bike and watch the points. If they look like fireworks rather than the occasional small spark, then the condenser probably is faulty.
It's those dreaded Lucas parts that dare to fail after only 55 years, although the design lifetime of our bikes was 100+ years minimum.  *smile*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.06. 2011 22:00 »
got the same problem, it's not the condenser though, had two maggies on it both good the first just reconed, both work fine on the Flash, both give a warm start problem on the Rocket spec Flash, so I'm still thinking flooding when warm although last time there was no spark but I suspect NGK plugs don't seem to like getting wet, it's not so bad on Champion.
Could it be the insulator absorbs petrol and shorts out?
Tried it last time I had it out (stopped on the top of a hill) it did start but after about five kicks, this was immediately after stopping .
Could be there's a warm start technique needed, one I have not discovered as yet
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.06. 2011 23:44 »
Thanks, guys. The search for fireworks sounds fun, I will try that. I can't recall now if I turned off the tap. But I know I had inadvertantly left the tap open all week before I started it this morning, which occured unexpectedly on the third completely gentle priming kick.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.06. 2011 08:42 »
take the magneto end cap off, start the bike and watch the points.

I had to send my Magneto back to my Magneto mender as the cam had turned, he asked if I'd run the bike with the end cap off as he reckons without the end cap the cam can move back and come off it''s locating pin, also pointed out I could have fixed it myself easily *doh*.
So just something to be aware of.

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 19.06. 2011 22:29 »
Try kicking it with no throttle when warm. Works for me.