Author Topic: rocket goldstar  (Read 7288 times)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocket goldstar
« Reply #45 on: 18.06. 2011 02:07 »
Alan,
          The ozzie RGSs were touring spec. I reckon they look better than the clubman. much neater than the ugly Goldie headlight brackets and naked forks.
Trev.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 18.06. 2011 08:12 »
Alan,
          The ozzie RGSs were touring spec. I reckon they look better than the clubman. much neater than the ugly Goldie headlight brackets and naked forks.
Trev.
I agree the headlamp area looks better without the Goldie brackets. In fact my Goldie in the late '50s was converted over to get rid of the brackets. Not considered good form to do this to a Goldie in those days though.
Can you recall which silencer was fitted on the ozzie RGS versions?
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Flatboy 1950

• A's Best Friend
    • Flat Earth Spares
« Reply #47 on: 18.06. 2011 10:34 »
Hi Chaps , There is a Rocket Gold Star for sale here in S.A.
Engine # DA10R8418.
Frame # GA10.921
 Although it is not a barnfind , it is on this website  www.barnfinds.co.za
Price is just below 12,000 pounds ....
There is also a DB34 GS for sale too.

Regards , Flatboy.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 18.06. 2011 15:13 »
It's interesting that he has priced the RGS the same as the DBD34.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 19.06. 2011 00:33 »
Alan,
             My RGS had the cigar muffler as did the other two that I knew of.
I suspect that this was standard on all of them as the "goldie" muffler was listed as an optional "track silencer", I would imagine it was not acceptable to the "authorities".
When I restored mine back in the 80s, I had a goldie muffler made as I liked the look.
Now that everyone has one, I have now got an original shape one for the next go around.
My friend has also fitted the original to his RGS. Sounds better than the goldie one but no twitter.
I don't know whether the factory RGS goldie mufflers twittered but the ones made here certainly did.

Trev.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 19.06. 2011 08:47 »
I don't know whether the factory RGS goldie mufflers twittered

Mine don't and it's almost  RGS engine spec.
I was told by a Goldie owner the twitter is down to valve overlap on the single, doesn't appear the same on a twin
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 19.06. 2011 14:33 »
I don't know whether the factory RGS goldie mufflers twittered

Mine don't and it's almost  RGS engine spec.
I was told by a Goldie owner the twitter is down to valve overlap on the single, doesn't appear the same on a twin
Funny you should mention that but a mate of mine with a Goldie didn't have the twitter but his Royal Oilfield fitted with a Goldie silencer did. He swopped them over and now his Goldie twitters and his RE doesn't. There's clearly more to it than just valve overlap it seems.
We investigated, as you do, and found differences with the internals between the two silencers. They both had the perforated tube running offset down the side taper but varied at the exhaust end of the tube. We can't recall where the one that twitters came from.
One of my RGS silencers, the one from Cake Street Classics, has a perforated short tube concentric with the silencer bore which doesn't reach the end of the body as far as the two just mentioned and another I've just tried on the RGS has a perforated tube running centrally right to the end. Neither of these has any hint of a twitter.
That's 4 different internals for a start. I'll start a topic in 'technical' to see if anyone knows who sells Goldie silencers which twitter.
Alan

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #52 on: 19.06. 2011 23:21 »
The twitter is created by the internal arrangement of the baffles.
A Mate of mine has perfected the method. He made my muffler.
  Trev.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #53 on: 20.06. 2011 08:08 »
The twitter is created by the internal arrangement of the baffles.
A Mate of mine has perfected the method. He made my muffler.
  Trev.
Trev, this confirms our result that it's primarily silencer design, any chance of a description/sketch or anything from your mate which would point us in the right direction? My friends Goldie silencer from off his RE which twitters is too difficult to see inside with any certainty and we don't want to cut it up since we don't know where it was bought to get a replacement, but it's generally described as I mentioned above.
Alan