Author Topic: Quality Parts suppliers  (Read 2036 times)

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Quality Parts suppliers
« Reply #15 on: 20.07. 2015 09:14 »
Re. Lightning Spares...

Recent Draganfly newsletter informs that they have bought Brian's business and transported it to Suffolk, saying they intend to maintain the wide range of stainless parts previously on offer.

Let's hope this is the good news it appears to be.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 20.07. 2015 22:05 »
i would say thats probably the best possible news. i have to hand it to dragonfly , my dealings  have been good and their backorder system is serious with future supply of rare parts being remanufactured by proven quality suppliers their aim.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 21.07. 2015 10:20 »
I agree, my dealings with Dragonfly have been pretty damn good. For example I bought a new gearbox mainshaft made to there requirements when it arrived and I tried ,in vain , (despite help from the guys here) to assemble the box I found the shaft oversize , despite there disbelief I sent it back to be told ,yes  was wrong they put it right, refunded my postage reamed a sleeve gear bush to fit it and included a new bearing all at no cost . Some may say should be right first time but in my book it's the end result that counts plus there service , Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 21.07. 2015 12:30 »
I never have much luck with Draganfly. I don't think they've yet managed to meet a complete order for me, and anything that they place on back order I never see hide nor hair of. Ever.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 21.07. 2015 20:56 »
if dragonfly have bought lightning spares stock we could be entering another "golden age" of bsa parts availabilty. how many dealers keep a special area under the bench with all those rare parts you desperately need only to be told its unavailable? if only i hadnt turned up on a japanese bike or car eh? now, if dragonfly come up with the contents of my backorders i m going to need a loan to pay for it all.

Offline terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #20 on: 21.07. 2015 21:14 »
I've used Draganfly directly and indirectly with some success.  If I was starting a parts business I might, as they say, not want to start from where they are.  It is a huge task to establish and maintain quality over a large range of parts such as they seek to market.
That said I think we can help, by making clear what quality is expected, clearly describing issues when (realistic) expectations are not met and seeking to support them as we wish to be supported.
I also like the fact that they are employing and, I think, training some younger people to ensure the business has a future.
I was not able to make it to their open day (12 July) but will hopefully stop by sometime soon.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 21.07. 2015 22:41 »

I've had 'ok' results from them, but have had the wrong bits sent on a couple of occasions- not viable to send back, bu they still charged me for the correct bits on top plus postage (not majorly big or expensive bits luckily)...and the bits (mainly fastenings) I bought from Lightnings were very nice, but had problems with an axle nut to an axle I'd previously bought elsewhere...moral of this is to get matching items from the same supplier...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #22 on: 22.07. 2015 10:37 »
I have known of dragonfly since they where in ‘Leytonstone high road’ and used them since they have had BSA spares. They supplied most of the parts and arranged the chroming etc for the A7’s failed rebuild in the 1980’s. The chrome is still good and the parts are now working well after the rebuild was completed 3 years ago. I went to their open day not that well attended (the weather did not help) and not too much to see there, but good to see the place again. I think, like many suppliers of parts for our bikes they do their best, when they can or need to they commission parts themselves, but for stock common stuff they get for the same suppliers as all the others.
Yes they occasionally make mistakes (who doesn't) but for me anyway they have always been helpful and put is right.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 22.07. 2015 13:14 »
To be honest I hadn't even realised they were having an open day - and I'm not that far away.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #24 on: 22.07. 2015 17:27 »
To be honest I hadn't even realised they were having an open day - and I'm not that far away.
You can subscribe to a newsletter on their website. Drops in your mailbox once a month. They put some effort in it for not to be purely advertisement only but also announcements of events and new products etc...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 21.11. 2015 02:53 »
 Old thread, but relevant to me.

Received large order from Draganfly, the half that was not on back order.

Not impressed in the least. A lot of the fasteners are badly formed and seem to be made out of some type of medium soft cheese.

All the bits thrown into one 15 pound bag, spent a lot of time sorting and trying to figure out if all the parts were even there. 

I dont think the people who pick your order have any idea what the part they are sending should look like, because some of the things they sent belonged in the garbage. I cancelled all the things on back order, I wasted enough money with them.

From now on, all fasteners I order will come from Motalia. I am not against spending good money on good parts, but I am against spending good money on an order of 40% trash. *sad2*

Sending it back from America would just compound the money I have wasted.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 21.11. 2015 07:19 »
I used to recommend Draganfly but nowadays I wouldn't, on an order for rims I placed they ignored my delivery instructions which caused me to incur hefty import taxes when they arrived in NZ.

My "complaint" was met with a couldn't care less attitude....I won't name names but the person I dealt with seriously needs to go on a sales training course  *sad2*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 21.11. 2015 09:32 »
99% good for Draganfly, the 1% for wrong rockerbox studs sent which is no bigee if a phone call puts it right but it didn't, however I still use them due in part to their excellent web site
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 21.11. 2015 13:35 »
 BSA-Bill,

I agree about their web site. It should be used as the example of how a web-site should be done.

But in this case I would use their site as an example of what part numbers you need so you can order from else-where.

Kiwi, this persons name didnt start with an L and end with REN did it? If so, dont feel alone because I was treated the same way. *sad2*
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 21.11. 2015 14:17 »
Never needed to order from Draganfly, but felt some comfort knowing they were out there. I don't want any big parts supplier to completely disappear unless I know where their inventory ends up. Based on the comments here, I guess Draganfly goes further into the background.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.