Author Topic: dealership plate  (Read 1969 times)

Offline wackyone

• Dursley, Gloucestershire
  • Moving Up
dealership plate
« on: 22.06. 2011 19:47 »
I have a Claude rye dealership plate for my A10 and was wondering how it fits on ?
any clues ?
1956 A10 Gold Flash
Space for one more maybe a B31
and a  side car for the Flash
Gsxr 600 k1 street fighter

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: dealership plate
« Reply #1 on: 22.06. 2011 20:14 »
probably was riveted to one of the frame tubes or headstock, maybe a mudguard.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2011 20:36 »
I'd say mudguard, probably rear. I wouldn't think they would drill and rivet into the frame.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wackyone

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2011 20:51 »
It has a small curve so maybe mudguard, Iv'e seen a photo of one on top of a number plate mount
1956 A10 Gold Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 22.06. 2011 21:28 »
That sound about right. Nice bit of history, would add $ to a bike that was despatched to that dealer.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2011 21:45 »
Hi,
The dealer plate  on mine (Eric Oliver) is attached to the top surface of the rearlight numberplate unit.
i think its held on by those threaded rivets like the ones that hold patent plates onto the timing case of Triumphs.
Nice things to have, and the sort of part that is often lost in restorations because "it isn't factory".
Cheers,
Iain

Offline wackyone

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 22.06. 2011 22:09 »
That sound about right. Nice bit of history, would add $ to a bike that was despatched to that dealer.
Cheers

She was sold from Claude rye's in march 55, has RYE on the reg plate and comes with correct numbers etc
so when I seen the plate it just had to be mine ! £27 later and its ready to fit on the flash when we have finished her  *smile*
1956 A10 Gold Flash

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 23.06. 2011 13:01 »
Here's a pic of mine to give idea of location.
Cheers,
Iain

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 23.06. 2011 13:59 »
HI , I used to work as as salesman for two bsa/triumph dealerships in Liverpool from '65 to '71 ,in Horsman's they would be fitted as per the picture above the rear light or if no rear light assembly towards the bottom of the rear mudguard ,Cundles would fit them ,sometimes on the front mudguard at the peak or at the rear as per, a nice looking bike , Bob Hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 03.07. 2011 14:36 »
I Bob, hope you received the message I sent you regarding Cundles and my RGS. Attempting to piece together the bikes history. GSOC have told me the tally number & consignment note number and that it was sent to Cundles the 22nd Oct 1962. As you worked as a salesman in the 60's, can you remember where in Liverpool the new bikes were taxed? Mine lost its original number and ended up with a Scottish reg, suspect about 1983 when DVLA were cancelling reg numbers if they were not informed.

Howard.
Howard

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 04.07. 2011 10:09 »
Goog morning Howard, If the bike was sold by Horsman's they would definately have registered it, the system was that everything from BSA had paperwork and bikes delivered to Cundles  ( who in 1962 would have been still Byrom st in liverpool they were redeveloped by L-pool council during '66 to Copperas Hill Office Pembroke Place) and then Horsmans would have picked it up on there combo ,a M21 of course, prepped it and registered/taxed it .Conversely the same would apply if Cundles sold it.In my day's there I remember going to a big tax office but it defiately wasn't the maain office as Liverpool was part of Lancashire then and the main office was on Fishers gate Preston I rememeber having to go there often with changes of ownership details and such like. Howard are you a member of the BSAOC 'cause if you are they will provide dispatch details for your bike even if not they will still provide the info for a fee but I'd join they have a wealth of info regarding this stuff has they were given the factory's dispatch books when it closed. There is just one other thing that could explain the Scottish plate, Horsman's were very customer orientated even then so if you had a customer who was a really picky and they would allow the bikes to be transported direct to the client and registered by them to avoid having a dealership stamp in the logbook ,in '67 I can remember a real character a college lecturer who ordered a Thruxton Velo ( we were Velo dealers as well ) and insisted noone touch it and off it went in the crate to his house. Any thing else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask, oh by the way I've seen both cundles and Horsmans dealship plates at auto jumbles once established it could be nice to reunit it with the correct one, regards Bob.   
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 04.07. 2011 15:32 »
Hi Bob. Thanks very much indeed for the invaluable information on Horsman's & Cundles, could'nt really believe it when I spotted your message on dealer plates forum and that you worked there. Will now be on the lookout for a Cundles dealer plate, be nice for that finishing touch! Thanks very much for the offer of more help, i'll definately be in touch with you.

Howard.

Howard