Author Topic: It's all gone quiet!!!!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
It's all gone quiet!!!!
« on: 26.06. 2011 14:38 »
The forum is unusually quiet at the moment. Don't tell me all the Beezas are going great and problems are all solved? Surely someone is in all kinds of trouble. Don't be shy, share it with the 'boys'.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline trickytree

• A's Best Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Re: It's all gone quiet!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26.06. 2011 14:59 »
Not A10 related but I'm pretty pee'd off with the A65 at the momment. Only managed 300 miles this year with a longest journey of 40 miles before something breaks, falls off, leaks or otherwise stops working. Friday was the first time I have ever had to make the journey home on the back of a recovery wagon with a dead charging system.

Not sure what the problem is at the momment as I feel the need to distance myself from the bike for a few weeks so went out and got myself a old Kwak 550 to get around on.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 26.06. 2011 19:10 »
Not A10 related but I'm pretty pee'd off with the A65 at the momment. Only managed 300 miles this year with a longest journey of 40 miles before something breaks, falls off, leaks or otherwise stops working. Friday was the first time I have ever had to make the journey home on the back of a recovery wagon with a dead charging system.

Not sure what the problem is at the momment as I feel the need to distance myself from the bike for a few weeks so went out and got myself a old Kwak 550 to get around on.

I know how you feel mate! Only the first time? The wife and I were talking about bikes which let you down and over a lifetime of various bikes only those with 'Gold' in their name have had to be retrieved from the roadside, twice when she was on pillion too, not good, and she always makes sure I have my AA card with me before I venture into the unknown on the BSA. Thinking about it, none of my japanese/Italian/German bikes have ever dared to misbehave. The BSAs have attitude like a teenage son/daughter but when they're good they're very very good.
Chin up
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.06. 2011 20:07 »
The bikes in the garage and I am in the garden having a bbq in the sunshine.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 26.06. 2011 20:20 »
I presume you're talking about Goldwings Alan  *smile*

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #5 on: 26.06. 2011 22:47 »
Don't worry, we always have lots of guests reading posts all over the place, + some spammers trying to post now and then, >:D in vain. So it's never quiet, over 10.000 visits each day, most of these are genuine readers and visitors, as many of the major spam countries have been completely locked out (china, russia etc) together with the most overactive search bots.

And most are probably busy riding their good working bike in the sun, after getting help from the forum  *smile*
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 27.06. 2011 05:49 »
Spammers from Russia with offers to increase the length of my...wheelbase.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 27.06. 2011 07:20 »
On my Royal Enfield Forum they keep trying to get us to join that stupid world of warcraft online game (I think they have their demographic very wrong!).  Perhaps they think if you own a Royal Enfield among other bikes that our wheelbases are fine  *smile*

Cheers,
Hubie.
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Offline Jules

• A's Best Friend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #8 on: 27.06. 2011 10:07 »
Interesting comments on reliability, makes me wonder why I decided to restore an A10 after all my teenage experiences with reliability. I used to dread the rain..... The bike always started really easily come hot or cold, but once it rained it would always start as normal then once I got 1/2 way out or home, it would just stop. No way it would start, so park it up somewhere safe and catch the bus home. Go back next day, always started first kick and rode home......why oh why ???
Then how do I fix the bike I'm restoring now to stop the same thing happening???
cheers, great forum this, enjoy the chats and more importantly the help/knowledge........

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 27.06. 2011 10:25 »
Your wish is my command Alan !! , any help sorting this out most gratefully accepted. Just got the A10 running again ,sorted new taps that were leaking from tank and adjusted the clutch, 3 kicks and away almost sweet as a nut and not bad since being silent since October, knackered gearbox being culprit . Have rebuilt the thing and suffered many disappointments with bits and also to be fair some very good service although at quite a cost it should now be pretty near perfect, so with her tickinhg over into first and (on stand ) away the boys great ,2nd okay 3rd a bit whozzy be went in and 4th okay ,then the problem ,it didn't want to come done the seqence, had to hold the gear selector upwards with my toe whilst pulling in the clutch and felt the cogs move same all the way into neutral so stopped the bike and whilst I can get 1st easily it doesn't want to move into second at all. Any ideas,help,etc.Do you think the cam plate selector plunger could need adjusting? Really sending me spare so what do you guys think.. . Just to give an idea it's had all bearings replaced the layshaft and gear cog rebushed by SRM and  the sleeve gear rebushed reamed etc at the other end the bushes in outer case were redone new selector arm and spring fitted and the kickstart bush replaced so as far as I can think it should be fine however....... over to you guys, best wishes Bob.  
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline gold33

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 27.06. 2011 11:26 »
"Interesting comments on reliability, makes me wonder why I decided to restore an A10 after all my teenage experiences with reliability. I used to dread the rain....."
I'm having a better run than that and I want it to stay that way! *eek*
Heading off on the Long Ride (fund raiser for Prostate Cancer) in Novermber, 2500 miles in 8 days *smile* The back up is to go on a new tiger but I'm confident the Flash will be fine.

Hoping a certain '51 A will be along for the ride as well ;)
Been out enjoying the beautiful winters days lately instead of sitting at the keyboard.
Darren
'52 Plunger

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 27.06. 2011 14:20 »
Giving it some serious thought Darren. Both mine have a problem with the rain, no air filters. Will have to mod one up and re-jet the '51, might even throw in a set of rings.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Flatboy 1950

• A's Best Friend
    • Flat Earth Spares
« Reply #12 on: 27.06. 2011 14:49 »
Some guys at the Classic Bike club here say that BSA stands for Bitch Stopped Again !!
Naturally there are various nic names for all the other makes as well ....

Cheers , Flatboy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 27.06. 2011 20:32 »
After 8 days and 2500 miles it's Bloody Sore idiot. *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 28.06. 2011 14:42 »
Yes i found a couple of minutes and logged on after a long break. About to move on the BSA again and aiming for the xmas 'toy run' that we have here in Adelaide and pack the boys in the sidecar. First move is to get the fuel tank stripped, knocked and replated and thanks for all the advice that took me down that road. Got sidetracked for a few months - heard about a national get together of Amilcars at Historic Winton this year and decided it was time to finally work out why for 6 years it hasn't run (apart from the fact my eldest is 6 years old!) I seized it on the 'Bay to Birdwood' traffic jam that cars without waterpumps or fans arent keen on - managed to rebuild the engine over the next 2 years, using the next one as a target - fired it up the night before without radiator etc. - put it all back in the wee hours and then went to start it again and wouldn't go despite tow starting etc.  Took me a while to get back there and various experts had a go along the way but the chance of getting together with about 30 little french cars made me determined to track it down. Started to strip down the motor, maggy off, big screwdriver to take the reverse thread screw that holds the gear on and .....hang on a minute that turned quite a bit under force..... turns out the gear was turning on the shaft enough to throw things out under force, combination of grooves in gear shaft and the key itself. I suspect an earlier rebuild used a shaft lock or something and I missed this detail with it being still relatively tight on there. By chance a mate had a spare - bottle of red and my old worn one to be filed by him for future reconditioning and i was on the road within 24 hours! Fantastic experience with the families first old vehicle long tour and included a 3 day rally around lake hume, fantastic roads including a nice strip of dirt with lots of sideways corners in the old girl! A few BSA racing at Winton too making it an interesting historic event with bikes and cars there. So back onto the bike and no doubt more stupid questions to come!

couple of pics - thats a veteran Triumph isn't it but the sidecar might look good on the A10!