Author Topic: Pilot/Parking bulb wattage.  (Read 803 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Pilot/Parking bulb wattage.
« on: 03.07. 2011 16:47 »
I have been running with a Halogen 20W pilot bulb for general riding which is quite bright without casting a beam to help to be seen by other road users. This is fairly common practice to help battery charging BUT I've been plagued with the problem of the light going out. Today I looked more closely since I checked the bulb with my multimeter and it was OK. Looking closer at the bulb holder I saw deep down inside it that part of the plastic had melted which was affecting the bulb contact.
I repaired it, switched on the pilot again and felt the back of the holder. It was HOT in seconds and clearly too hot for the holder material. I'm now back to the low watt pilot bulb and will run with dipped beam in future.
Now this does not apply to all pilot bulb holders since one type I checked had ceramic material where the one on the BSA is plastic. I'd be sure that type would handle the 20W but it won't fit my reflector.
You might want to check your bulb holder if you're running a 20W pilot.
Alan 
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Pilot/Parking bulb wattage.
« Reply #1 on: 04.07. 2011 17:19 »
I am. Good shout. I will check it. Thanks.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 06.07. 2011 14:57 »
Alan ,have you thought about going LED ? Paul Goff has one and I'm sure it only draws a tiny amount compared with normal bulbs so that should mean less heat ,I'm sure it uses the normal holder ,I used his Led taillight and found it great, really cut the discharge down on the ammeter  and a plus would be giviing the dynamo an easier time ,I think he also doe's rideing lights as well regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #3 on: 09.08. 2011 12:03 »
Goffy only does 6v pilots in std or halogen. At the moment he doesn't do 6v pilots in LED.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300