Author Topic: suzuki clutch conversion  (Read 6362 times)

Offline petertriumph

• Active
suzuki clutch conversion
« on: 17.07. 2011 13:31 »
Hi Everybody. New to the forum. I'm in the process of building a goldie(dbd34) cafe racer and would like to fit a GS 550 clutch, I've noticed some pretty good posts regarding this subject on the forum, but need a bit more info if anyone can help?
I've got the clutch, the sprocket, the bearing. Where I'm stuck is the centre sleeve. My bike's got a converted Dommie clutch modified to fit the standard gearbox main shaft. Does the suzuki clutch cenre have to be machined to fit the origional sleeve (if so how?) or is there another way? Any help would be greatly appreciated , as the dommie clutch is a bit of a bodge and slips so baly I can't kick the bike over!
Thanks in advance,
Pete.   

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: suzuki clutch conversion
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2011 13:56 »
Pete,

I'm leaving this Suzuki clutch technical topic to others in-the-know, but want to say welcome and glad you've joined. Please do post photos of your bike, and the work on it, in various states of completion because we thrive on them.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2011 18:34 »
Hi Peter,
I have posted before on this subject, saying that I've been so busy working on other projects and customer bikes that I have not yet got mine finished  *sad2*
To answer you questions ( I hope??)
From your message it sounds like the dommie clutch was bored to fit on the BSA shaft?? is this the case?
From which era is your GS550 clutch from?
The modern GS550 clutches have a splined centre 16 x 20 mm, If you can find a gearbox shaft from a plunger A7/10 this will fit the swing arm gearbox and has a spline slightly bigger than the GS,
This is where I'm held up with mine as I want to find time to sort out a slotting attachment to modify the splines  *conf*

The other method of fitting a Suzuki clutch is to fit one to the 4 spring Triumph shaft adaptor, as on the Pearson Clutch
This requires a bearing 1 3/8 x 2 1/2 x 3/8in these are fairly expensive
The modern GS 550 clutch does not (in my opinion) have enough metal in the centre to open out to fit the shaft adaptor !
I examined a Pearson clutch (at an autojumble) and saw that there was wear on the alloy spline where it fits the shaft adaptor *sad2*
My solution for this is to get a centre from a GSXR 750 (1989/90?) this has a steel piece cast into the centre which looks big enough to bore and spline  to the Triumph type adaptor
It will also need a little turned off the outside diamater to fit into the GS basket, or use the 750 basket
I havnt checked if the 750 outer will fit in the BSAprimary case (yet)

HTH
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2011 20:25 »
 Still seems a long way around to fix an already desired AMC clutch. Does it already have the plunger shaft to accomodate the AMC spline? Pictures of your clutch setup would help.

Offline petertriumph

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 20.07. 2011 18:41 »
Hello everyone. Thanks for your interest!  Yes, somehow the dommie clutch has been altered to fit the BSA shaft, but its worryingly wobbly, doen't run true and slips! It's a mod that was done in the sixties and I think....has seen better days!   I was thinking of fitting the Triumph centre - as I've already bought the R22 bearing. My main problem was how to bore the suzuki boss to fit the Truimph centre? Any ideas on what kind of machinning is needed would be very helpful. Also after another look at the Suzuki basket (photo attached) - it's very deep and I'm not sure will fit in the primary case - maybe this is why Pearson makes his own baskets? The pictures on the forum of the Colin Tie conversions also don't seem to be using the original  basket. I think my Suzuki clutch must be the later type as it measures 16 x 22mm. Any more Ideas, thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Peter.

Offline petertriumph

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 20.07. 2011 18:43 »
P.S  Tried a few times to send attachements but it wouldn't have it! I'll have to practice that one.
Cheers,
Peter.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 20.07. 2011 20:31 »
It is a common trick to fit a plunger twin mainshaft to your g box and fit a desirable AMC clutch which has the same spline. Stick with your clutch and make sure the plates and cush rubbers are okay.The cush rubbers are easily available on ebay when i did mine last year.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.07. 2011 23:27 »
Hi Peter,
The attachments need to be less than 600kb each and less than 2000kb in total per post

The machine needed to put the splines into the clutch centre is called a slotting machine,
The centre is mounted centrally on a rotary table, and the cutter plunges up and down, turn table to the next position and repeat, the cutting tool must be ground to the correct shape and radius of the spline
Definitely not a job for the Black and Decker and Dremel *eek*

As per my previous post check the adaptor against the Suzy centre I dont think theres enough metal there????

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 21.07. 2011 00:42 »
How close are the engine sprocket and clutch drum chain lines with the suzuki clutch fitted ? Do they need any major shimming /spacing to line up ?

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.07. 2011 16:43 »
Hi Bonny,
If the Triumph adaptor is used ( the correct one!!!) the sprocket should wind up in the correct place
I havnt set up the splined shaft to see how that will work yet

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 21.07. 2011 19:30 »
Can i have your AMC clutch then?

Offline petertriumph

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 23.07. 2011 19:32 »
Unfortunately, I need it for the moment, as I'm not winning with the transformation! I'm trying to post a pic of the suzuki basket  - Because I'm pretty sure its too wide. Does any one know anyone whose actually fitted one of these with the origional basket, cos to me it doesn't look that modifyable without a lot work.
Any more info greatly appreciated.
Peter.

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 23.07. 2011 19:55 »
i new it was on here somewhere ! there are some pictures on this page; http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,708.0.html
and as i think i asked a while ago that if you run one of these clutch's,being a wet clutch,it has to run in an oil bath of the modern oil,used in japanese bike transmissions,
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline petertriumph

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 23.07. 2011 20:30 »
this is it.

Offline petertriumph

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 23.07. 2011 20:39 »
Here's another.