Author Topic: 1953 A10 and sidecar - tires  (Read 690 times)

Offline tsubahog

• Active
  • New Jersey, USA
1953 A10 and sidecar - tires
« on: 17.07. 2011 14:10 »
Presently rebuilding the three wheels - one NOS hub found and two old hubs have been rechromed. Custom s/steel spokes coming from Buchanon. Now I have to decide on tires.

All three wheels are 19" WM3 (2.15). The front and sidecar had a 3.25 tire, the rear a 3.50. All three tires were rock hard and tossed away.

I was thinking about Avon SM tires - the Triple Duty would work for the sidecar and the rear. I was also thinking about going to 4.00 on the sidecar and rear with a 3.50 on the front.

What are the members recommendations?

Many thanks

tsuba

1953 A10 plunger with Watsonian sidecar

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: 1953 A10 and sidecar - tires
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2011 20:38 »
I'd go the K70 style and check for width on the bigger sizes to clear your rear chainguard and stays. Mitas tyres have a good inexpensive tyre range. Google.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: 1953 A10 and sidecar - tires
« Reply #2 on: 19.07. 2011 15:57 »
Hi , I ran a '53 plunger ,it was my first bike and did a fair few miles on her both with a chair (double adult ) and often with it removed and just a basic board fitted . thrashed the living daylights out of her .The old guy who set her up for me was insistant that the toe on the chair had to be spot on as well as the position of the front of the chair in relation to the bike frame. from memory I think roughly in line with the fork leg.  anyway point of this is he also told me never to change the tyre width on chair as this would create extra drag and effectively screw up the geometry. resulting in it pulling whichever side the chair was fixed. I also think that the improved grip of modern tyres plus the extra width on the sidecar wheel would make the bike "dig in" on right handers (in england ) when the bike's rear would hop up in the air and the outfit spins ( i only did that once and it was enough talk about changing trousers rapidly ) don't think any problem on the rear drive wheel . Ican only say that the handling of my 2 outfits was spot on when this guy set them up slightly tighten steering damper "hands off on the stright" so even though He's long gone and it was over 40 yrs ago I'd still believe what he told me ,hope this is of help.best wishes Bob H
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom