Author Topic: 1963 RGS rear mudguard  (Read 7316 times)

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
Re: 1963 RGS rear mudguard
« Reply #15 on: 05.04. 2013 21:03 »
Hi RGS Bob,
Have only just seen your email.  I'll take some more photos tomorrow and post them.  My bike was original and has been put back that way, so they should help you.
Cheers,
Jon

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 07.04. 2013 10:28 »
Hi RGS Bob, here are the photos.  You can see that the thick rubber pads used on the A10s are not used on the RGS.  The RGS guard has a horizontal dent put in it to clear the swinging arm.  The little connector at the bottom front is chromed as standard.  The long chromed "arrow" stays that support the rear of the mudguard have the triangular part welded on, so only the cotton reels are needed to complete the front end attachment of the stays.  These RGS stays are about an inch longer than the ones used on the late Super Rockets, etc.  There was just enough space to squeeze in a cartridge oil filter out of sight in front of the mudguard.  You can see that the loads from the seat have to go through the mudguard to the frame!
HTH,
Jon

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 07.04. 2013 12:19 »
Offtopic: jjbsa, just a little praise of your posting of good pictures: detailed, sharp, nice size for screen view, fast loading (small .jpg file size) ...and helping another member. Good job.  ;)
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline magicflem

• A's Good Friend
  • Sydney NSW Australia
« Reply #18 on: 09.04. 2013 06:16 »
Hope you are all well.
I have now had my WM2 valanced alloy wheel laced onto QD rear hub. Central Wheel Components (UK)  advised there is no offset on a WM2 fitted to a QD RGS rear hub.
When I fit rear wheel to frame it would require approx. 7.5mm offset (toward drive side) to centre the rim between shocks etc. I am using a Lyford 42-6018 46T rear brake drum sprocket.
Does anyone know the correct offset?
Kind Regards,
Kim
1930 BSA B30-3 Side Valve Girder (being restored)
1955 BSA A10 Road Rocket
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1956 BSA A10 Road Rocket
1951 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1956 BSA DB32 Gold Star Clubman
1958 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1961 BSA C15 (being restored)
1961 BSA C15 Star "America" (being restored)
1961 BSA A10 "Big Valve" Super Rocket (being restored)
1963 BSA A10 Rocket Gold Star

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #19 on: 10.04. 2013 12:19 »
Kim, sorry but I didn't connect your e-mail address with you so not knowing the answer to your question I posted it in a new post without reading this first still you'll get twice the responce now! By the the way do I take it that your are in financial services in Oz ? regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 10.04. 2013 15:46 »
I bought a new chrome rear mudguard before Xmas from Burtons, I put the same question to the forum. The results were brilliant and it contains nice pic's of the set up. I have chrome rear stays which I got from ebay in Wales and various bridges required. If you can locate my thread the answers are all there. I think mine is a gold star set up at rear not the RGS, they must be different. I had three different size rear stays, the ebay ones fitted.
Regards Colin.

Offline Craig50

• Active
« Reply #21 on: 29.12. 2017 15:39 »
Hi, new to the forum, and need some advice please. These rear arrowhead stays are giving me a bit of a headache. With the stays and mudguard brackets in place, I am left with a 1/4 inch gap on the lower bracket between the frame. Am I missing a spacer??
Have read the responses enclosed in this thread, great pictures, thanks.   

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 29.12. 2017 17:37 »
May be worth getting two stainless steel cotton reels from ebay, common place on some swinging arms and similar fixtures as spacers.  Mine was on a 1954 bike and was probably different.  Mat be worth starting a new thread with a couple more pictures. Good luck and happy new year.

Offline Craig50

• Active
« Reply #23 on: 29.12. 2017 17:54 »
Thanks A10 JWO...The RGS parts book shows part # 02-0370 as spacers for the rear guard, however this part # appears as a spacer on the steering damper..perhaps it's the same spacer?...however, thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. BSA resto is new to me, (I have a few Triumphs in winter storage) and there's a huge amount of expertise and experience here, so thought I'd ask first. The chrome guards and stays, brackets, etc all came from Auto-Cycle...I sent an email to Barleycorn (I was over in the UK in October and went to Kempton Park to pick up some parts) and Simon Barley replied that his bobbins are about .900" the same as what I presently have, although he did mention that he has in the past made a batch of thinner ones. I would say that .750" would be ideal for this application. The gap that I have on the bracket to frame is about.250"
I will perhaps get a couple made up here in Toronto, there's a few small job shops around.
Happy New Year to you too, and thanks again.       

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 30.12. 2017 15:09 »
Found S/Steel mudguard spacers on ebay 202165553824 or 3624. £10.50 part number 42-6900. I could get them and post if seller won't post abroad. ?

Offline Craig50

• Active
« Reply #25 on: 30.12. 2017 17:04 »
Thanks for the offer A10 JWO...I actually checked a couple of Ebay sites last night, bonnie 140v has a lots of SS spacers, will also make to your own specs. I'll also check out your suggestions.
I also checked out PN 42-6900, according to the parts book, it's the smaller of 2 cotton reel spacers, the longer ones are for a 2 piece rear stay, and the short ones are 3/4x3/8x1/2 long, which would be short for the dimensions I have.
Building a RGS replica from parts sourced from all corners is a great way to spend the winter in Canada (todays high, -25C...-40C if you live in Winnipeg) I've come to the conclusion all you need is a credit card with no limit lol, which I don't have, but so far so good, things are moving along.
The frame is a modified A10, modified swing arm and forks to take the correct wheels (well not exactly, the rear is an 18" not RGS but available on GS) sourced and modified here in southern Ontario, the motor and gearbox is a fully overhauled, Super Rocket, 1959 also purchased here in Ontario, including overhauled mag/dynamo..clocks, tank, seat, UK, pipes UK, paint for the tank US, and paint job here in Ontario...clocks, I think I gave my first born. But I'm lovin the build. Most of the fit up is done(other than spacers etc) I'll be stripping it down this week and taking it to the guy that did the tank for me, cleaning, pressure test etc, for him to do a bit more work on the side and center stand, and also fit a couple of rear set stub pieces. Whether I use them or not is still undecided, but I'd rather have them there.
Thanks again.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 31.12. 2017 09:58 »
Great photo!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash