Author Topic: Getting to the point  (Read 982 times)

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
Getting to the point
« on: 25.07. 2011 20:02 »
Of little interest, but one to bear in mind....

I was travelling back from VMC's founders day yesterday, doing a steady handful, when the Velo. Venom started coughing and spluttering. I gave it a little bit more (to clear a blockage?) and was met with rather a good blow back through the carb. Hmm..blocked jet methinks, so I gave it a clean, but I couldn't see much dirt. I took it for another spin tonight and still had the same problem. Having ruled the carb out of the equation I took the cover off the mag and hanging there on a thin film of oil was the tip from one half of the points! If I hadn't actually seen the tip I think I'd still be scratching my head. Funny thing was, I'd just been over to Tony Cooper's (the mag man) at lunchtime today to get a new set of points for the A10 PL and we were talking about how the tips get put on to the end of the points......spooky!

Just remember...every day's a school day.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: Getting to the point
« Reply #1 on: 25.07. 2011 21:16 »
Yes, happened on a Matchy twin with me. Found some original brass points which are much better made. Strange the replacement points also have no earth brush too!You can see the weak point in the new points where they break.I don't have a high resolution camera to show you the weak point.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.07. 2011 18:11 »
Hi All,
Yes I have had the same happen with pattern points *sad2*
Speaking of Founder Day, I had a good time there on Sunday,
I managed to get a nice rotary table for the mill, so the Suzy clutch conversion will get going again *ex*

Speaking of break downs, On the way back down towards Cambridge I saw an AJS 7R broken down on the opposite carriageway  *sad2* the rider was on his mobile phone (the only spanner carried???)
A few miles later on there was an XK 120/150 Jag broken down as well,it was being lifted as we passed
Time warp or what ????  *conf*

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.07. 2011 23:38 »
Wow, a 7R on the road? That would be a sight to see!

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.07. 2011 12:50 »
The little drum shaped contact came loose in, but didn't drop off,  the "moving" point in a Cooper-refurbished mag on my bike a couple of months ago. I peened it over again but had better keep an eye on it.  I did consider soldering it, but we'll see.