Author Topic: painting a chrome tank  (Read 838 times)

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
painting a chrome tank
« on: 23.07. 2011 13:24 »
Probably a stupid question and in anticipation of getting my chrome tank back. How do you get the paint to stick right up to the line on a nice shiny new chrome tank? I assume it must be sanded to rough it up but that needs to be right to a line.

Also as a South Aust police bike, does anyone know if it should have a line and what colour between the chrome and the black. The one they have in the museum has no line, but has been restored many years ago and you never know what has been done. Also are there any dimensions apart from eyeballing photos as to exactly how much is left as chrome?

No screaming rush... had 2 weeks off, dropped the tank to have the chrome stripped for the dent knocker and that is how long it took them. Will drop it off tomorrow.

Also had a look at the tank advertised on ebay in Adelaide for $800 at K and M motorcycles. Story is was intended for a bike, there careful dent knocker did it and then A class for chrome. Sounded good and would save me a lot of work but as is often the case, held in the light you can see these liner marks in the chrome from the polishing process. Once back I just need to make a decision on who i trust to chrome it. Geelong as suggested sounds good but I am not comfortable sending it so far and getting it back and the communication process if not right. Had gone to Delway Brass and hoped for the best, but when the guy estimated 1 or 2 days to strip it, I rang them something like 3 times in the end to finally get it after a week and a half and then they complained about all the extra work they had to do to remove bits of paint, when I am sure there was none on it and felt like they were looking for excuses. And the final call that seem to get it moving they asked well when do you really want it - "a week ago when you estimated would have been nice!" was my reply...... needless to say I am not confident going to them. Looks like it will be A class but i am hoping if i get on my knees, take them a couple of samples of how I want it to look (recent purchases made of chrome done in UK) and also some local work, and a statement that I wont complain about the price no matter how much time they put in and see how I go. I had to get some header pipes made up for a car of mine recently and said something similar - mates were a little shocked at the price but I have to say i am very pleased with the workmanship and I am sure I will forget the price before I would have forgotten a crap job.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: painting a chrome tank
« Reply #1 on: 23.07. 2011 23:51 »
Craig,
          Usually a light sand and etch primer for the paint.
No idea about the lining but I would suggest gold.
As to the dimensions of the paintwork, eyeballing a similar model is as good as you can get.
Who is going to criticise the finished job, anyhow? [Other than you.]

Trev.

Offline craigb

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2011 02:07 »
Yes good point, i am my own worst critic! But just thought I would check if there was a standard.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.07. 2011 09:24 »
I'm with Trev on this, also for lining one thick line for authenticity not one medium and one thin as I did but thought it looked better at the time  - not sure about it now though.
As they were all done by hand originally it,s doubtfull they were all to the same spec anyway
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco