Author Topic: dynamo sprocket removal.  (Read 1930 times)

Offline GuyboA10

• Moving Up
  • 53' A10 B4 Restore.
dynamo sprocket removal.
« on: 01.03. 2008 10:59 »
Hey guy's,Re: 53' A10. i am trying to remove the dynamo driving sprocket from the idler pinion spindle which are both still on the inner timing cover. I cant work out how it comes apart, without doing damage. is the sprocket on a thread or does it slide off after taking off the nut and washer? Can anyone help me out ?
cheers Guy.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: dynamo sprocket removal.
« Reply #1 on: 01.03. 2008 15:18 »
It's just a good fit on a taper, best to leave the chain on, remove nut and washer and turn engine while at the same time applying (gentle) sideways force to sprocket, ( like a very small pry bar behind sprocket).
You could heat the sprocket prior to this with a heat gun if you have one, it's not usually a great problem to remove.

If you have unlimited funds take the sprocket off the dynamo as well, throw both of them in a bin and buy a toothed belt system.

all the best - Bill 
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 01.03. 2008 15:19 »
The dynamo chain drive sprocket is a taper fit. Once the retaining nut and tab washer have been removed the drive sprocket should be able to be removed by tapping the sprocket with a hammer and a soft drift (copper for example). The dynamo sprocket is small enough to pass through the crankcase opening. I have a belt drive kit fitted to my bike, and the drive is drilled and tapped to permit removal by a puller. As I said though with the original chain set up removal is best achieved with a hammer and a soft drift. It should not prove to be to difficult. I hope it goes well. good luck.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2008 23:15 »
I remember heating the pinion with a small blowtorch, tapping gently on it all around with a small hammer, all while having it under some pressure using an extractor (that I had to grind down to get the 'claws' behind the sprocket teeth. Suddenly it went "click" and got loose, took some time and patience.
Good Advice
No reactions

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline farmboyuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 11.03. 2008 11:28 »
Hi
I was just about to ask the same question, since I needed to align the timing marks. The heat gun worked at treat with a couple of taps with a rubber hammer!
Good Advice
No reactions