Author Topic: It lives again!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
It lives again!
« on: 02.08. 2011 20:04 »
I didn't really know which section to post this in as you've all helped with the A10 plunger  (timing, 276 carb etc.)

Having static timed to 30 degrees with SRM kit (will strobe later) and today refitted the 276 I tried starting it, but obviously something wasn't quite right.

So tonight I went back to timing basics and identified my schoolboy error..........I'd timed it coming off the magneto cam instead of coming on to the cam. *conf* (I can hear you all laughing from here).

Now, having just retimed it correctly we're back to first time starting *smile*.

I've just looked at the tax disc and the last one expired August 2001 so it's ten years to the month since it was last fired up.

I've just got to remove the petseal in the tank and re-line with something appropriate then it may even venture down the road for an MOT.

Thanks for the help (probably more questions to follow)

Brian ('57 GF Plunger - once again running)
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: It lives again!
« Reply #1 on: 02.08. 2011 20:34 »
Bostin Cotterpinkid always good to see another machine on the road.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #2 on: 03.08. 2011 16:00 »
Always good to see another BSA on the road in the West Midlands. Well done it looks great.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 03.08. 2011 17:35 »
I've owned it for about 30 years, I brought it off a mate who was going to use it for spares for his plunger outfit. It hasn't travelled far in its lifetime as it was sold through a dealers in Aston, B'ham. I must dig our the dating cert to see which dealers. I used to use it regularly for work etc then took the opportunity to rebuilt it (that was about 12 years ago). Having rebuilt it I put about 500 miles on the clock and parked it up, that was 10 years ago. Last year I decided to check things over. Knowing that the windings had broken down in the mag. I had that done and I fetched the head and barrells off for a look. It has took me until now to get it fired up again.

Must get on with cleaning the petseal out of the tank.

Cheers

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 04.08. 2011 18:14 »
Hi Brian,Lovely bike,  must admit I've got a soft spot for the plunger flash , I had one has a my first bike and my oh my did I have fun with it ,took me all over england from '65 to about nov 67 when i killed her ( callous stupid youth ,flat out down a hill NO OIl !!!!!!!! ) only time a BSA didn't get me back home , ( attention Wilco ) trouble was it happened just outside oxford I lived in Liverpool, still i haven't killed another , regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 04.08. 2011 19:50 »
Hello Bob,

The tank is currently off for resealing and I've only started it a couple of times on a small slave tank.

First thing I've noticed is an imbalance between the two cyclinders, with the LH cyclinder heating up very very quickly (and getting over hot) whilst the RH pot remains fairly cool.

I will check the ignition timing on both cylinders with a strobe to make sure they're both about right and not, for some reason, over retarded on the LH.

I will also check the inlet tract for bits of overhanging gasket which may be deflecting the mixture.

The LH downpipe isn't a particularly good fit in the head, but have read some useful post about resolving that.

Cheers

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 05.08. 2011 12:55 »
That sounds like a good start,I seem to remember that BSA used to supply offset gaskets on the inlet to counteract biase like you're descriping ,you could try something like that. Best of luck Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom