Author Topic: non charging 12v conversion  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Davmacb

• Davmacb
  • Active
non charging 12v conversion
« on: 08.08. 2011 22:22 »
Have recently converted my A7SS to 12v and the starting and running is fine but I can't get the bike to charge the battery.  I have completely rewired the bike from scratch.  Fitted a 12v armature and field coil to the dynamo.  Bought two new batteries (one gel and one standard).  Fitted an new DVR2 regulator and cut-out and still it won't charge.  The ammeter (new) shows a discharge when I turn the lights on but doesn't move even a fraction when I rev up.  The dynamo is definately giving out current as I have tested it and it lights a headlanp bulb when wired directly.  I have all the circuits from the battery and DVR2 protected with fuses which are not blowing.  Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: non charging 12v conversion
« Reply #1 on: 08.08. 2011 22:38 »
If you have done the first test at the dynamo by bridging "D" & "F" and have the correct voltage, have you also established whether the polarity is correct?

Trev.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #2 on: 09.08. 2011 11:55 »
Fitted a 12v armature and field coil to the dynamo

Did you polarise it afterwards?  Flash a wire from whichever battery terminal is live [eg not earth] to the dynamo field terminal. This should be negative, as i believe the DVR2 works Positive earth only so make sure thats how you set the dynamo and battery up. If you connect some electronic regulators the wrong way they can be damaged.

HTH
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Davmacb

• Davmacb
  • Active
« Reply #3 on: 10.08. 2011 08:15 »
Thanks Andy.  Yes I've tried the flashing and also fitted a fuse (which doesn't blow) from the DVR2 A (output) terminal as per the instructions.  Still nothing.  I've now contacted an auto electrician as a last resort so I'll post the mystery results once he has figured it out.

Offline old53

• Moving Up
  • Saphire Coast NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: 10.08. 2011 13:51 »
I have a similar problem but with 6v system maybe related. Ive fitted an electronic Wassel regulator to my A10 followed all instructions has correct polarity and have had dyno motoring like electric engine on bench as specified in instruction  but my amp meter shows discharge when my lights are on. The original regulator was wired to one side of the amp meter but the instruction for the electronic reg goes straight to battery. Is it possible that it is charging the battery but showing discharge at amp meter is it is in series with light circuit? I hope this makes sense.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.08. 2011 15:41 »
The three wires from the regulator (original or new solid state type) two from the dynamo, one to earth and the other to the ammeter, and this one to the ammeter goes to the opposite side of the ammeter than the wire from the battery.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline old53

• Moving Up
  • Saphire Coast NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: 12.08. 2011 09:29 »
Thanks Bill- attached is the diagram I received with regulator. Have I got this right the black wire going to Battery in diagram can go to the load side of amp meter cheers

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.08. 2011 10:42 »
Hi - yes, I should have posted this pic as well although I think it's on here somewhere
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #8 on: 05.09. 2011 22:29 »
Try connecting a meter across the battery and take a note of the voltage reading with and without the engine running and when revving up.  You could also connect an ammeter in series and see if its charging. Your ammeter on the bike maybe a bit one sided - most are made in China and will not be calibrated. They would show a flick with the old on off switch regulator but with the electronic system will be trickle charging and not easy to see.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 06.09. 2011 11:49 »
Also remember that the regulator will not allow the generator to generate till it decided that the battery needs it so if your battery is fully charged then the generator will not generate.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 06.09. 2011 12:32 »
There's normally a small charge going into the battery even when it's fully charged.

Depending on the regulator type (some need the battery connected) you could disconnect the black wire from the battery then put a voltmeter between the regulator black wire and earth. You should then see either around 7.2V (6V system) or 14.4V (12V system).
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)