Author Topic: Twin leading shoe conversion for A10  (Read 6428 times)

beachcomber

Twin leading shoe conversion for A10
« on: 22.03. 2008 08:51 »
Hi there, this is my first post, so go easy! Interested in this conversion for my 1958 A10. Just wondered if there's anyone out there that has converted their bike or has experience of it? Are the parts readily available?

Any thoughts or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Twin leading shoe conversion for A10
« Reply #1 on: 22.03. 2008 09:17 »
Welcome to the forum, Beachcomber. I've not done it but I did once borrow a Super Rocket with this brake to ride down to the Kent Custom Show from Coventry. The brake worked well but caused flexing and judder to the forks. I suppose it could have just been worn fork bushes but my opinion is that the forks are not man enough to cope with a good front brake.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.03. 2008 13:47 »
Beachcomber,

Always great to hear from new members, welcome. If you've spent some time reading posts on this forum, you know that we thrive on photos of our member's bikes (not a requirement, of course). Sorry that I can't offer any experience with twin leading-shoe conversion.

For me, one question that arises from this is, "why did BSA return to 8" half-width front brakes for the standard Rocket Gold Star?". For the RGS, full-width hubs were an option. (I assume your bike is NOT an RGS.)  I have some guesses as to the answer to my question:

1. The full-width rear brake was spongy, so, going with the rod-activated half-width rear, the half-width front was a better appearance match.

2. The half-width front was closer to "Gold Star" ishness.

3. As BSA seemed inclined to do, they had a warehouse full of them and needed to use them anywhere they could.

OK, I know this doesn't help answer your question, but maybe there is reason to stick with what you have, I'm assuming, a full-width hub. I'm pretty sure we will hear from folks more experienced than I about the conversion and it's benefits and shortcomings.

Richard

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #3 on: 26.03. 2008 13:22 »
I have this conversion on my A7 and it works a treat(full width 8 inch hub).I improved the front judder by replacing the shoes they had worn unevenly.
Andy

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 28.03. 2008 20:56 »
Beachcomber, there's more than one path to enlightenment, but the easiest way to make the conversion is to find a complete donor front end from a '68 Lightning.  It will drop right on, the fork legs will look identical and you get real damping.  Or you could get one from any '69-'70 A50 or A65, but these front ends use the Triumph style legs that look a little different.  The other option is to just get the TLS hub and wheel and mount it on existing forks, though you will have to modify the tang that prevents the plate from rotating.

Good luck.

-alex
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #5 on: 26.08. 2008 14:11 »
Hi
Ive got a TLS backplate to put on my Flash and have the same problem.

Does anyone know the best way, it it easier to cut the short lug off and weld a longer one on ?

Is the original welded or brazed on ? and are the 68 forks the same but with a longer lug ?

Regards
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 26.08. 2008 15:07 »
There are (at least)2 ways to do it.

I had the fork lug extended. A longer lug was welded on.
It was done with TIG to give a cool weld and not distort the fork.

I have also seen the recess for the lug on the brakeplate built up with alloy weld to meet the lug.
I run a standard A10 front end, works well, no judder.

You may need to cut new grooves in the spindle for the fork end cap nuts.

Its a great brake and well worth the effort.
Tombeau

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 26.08. 2008 19:01 »
hi i have done this see pic i built up the brake plate with alloy weld and then had it all polished i also used the later hub so i could use all of the shoe if you are using an original a10 fw hub the shoes are to big but i have a pair cut to size if you need them fitted but never run chris

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #8 on: 01.09. 2008 13:02 »
Cheers for that.
I need my drum skimmed cos its gone oval and judders like hell, I think i will get this done at "Supremes" at Earl Shilton, hes goning to re-line the shoes and machine to the correct radius.

Regards
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

derek5

« Reply #9 on: 01.09. 2008 20:32 »
My first posting too. I suppose it's not an option for you with yours being later than my '55 model, but I am using A65 fork sliders and dampers with an A65 single sided hub, as per Gold Star. I have lengthened the cam operating lever by 10 m/m and now have an excellent brake.