Author Topic: rear wheel run-out  (Read 876 times)

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
rear wheel run-out
« on: 24.08. 2011 20:27 »
During recent runs with Hants BSAOC I had been advised more than once that the rear wheel on my 1960 A10 (Golden Flash) was running well out of true. A quick check confirmed this runout to be over 0.1" (2.5 mm) side to side. Last winter I had both wheels rebuilt with new spokes, using new chromed Devon rims, which I had been assured were pretty much the best available. So it was back to the rebuilder for a true up pronto. What he found was really only a little run-out, most of which he skilfully tweaked out as I watched. So imagine how dissapointed I was when I replaced the wheel and measured with a dial guage 0.12" run-out. Now the wheel truing rig used its own half spindles and I assumed at that time that somehow this factor was introducing the error. But before a further trip with the loose wheel, I had the thought to mount the wheel in each of the four available sprocket positions and observe the run-out. This proved enlightening. The next position gave a run-out of 0.09", the third just under 0.04", and in the final slot it was back up to 0.08".

My conclusion is that the sprocket mounting hole circle must surely be eccentric, thereby offsetting the wheel axle a variable amount in each position. Just a 20 thou offset at the sprocket would translate into the 120 thou at the 19" rim. Now with the sprocket in the best position I rapidly managed to tweak the maximum run-out to less than 20 thou (to my surprise and pleasure). Then I permanently marked the wheel hub and sprocket for future matching. I suppose this is just a further example of innaccurately made pattern parts; although the sprocket fitted must be 30 years old it is certainly not a BSA original. What is most surprising is that both times the wheel builder must  by chance have had the sprocket in the same position, and I had selected the worst of 4 positions at random, so a 1 in 16 chance. I had not seen this issue referred to anywhere so it must be worth passing this on to other riders with this type of wheel, as also fitted to A7 and B31/33 of course.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: rear wheel run-out
« Reply #1 on: 29.11. 2014 17:31 »
Scuse me Mike - thought I'd latch on to your post as it's sort of relevant

Both my previous forays into rear wheel lacing were done when I had the S/W arm removed from the bike so I used it to true the wheel up - worked fine.
This time however I had no good reason to removed the S/A (or desire to do so)
Had thought of making a wheel truing stand  by buying ALDI's cheapo welder but having used a similar model welder at work  I knew of it's frustrating limitations.
So Spotted one ( a truing balancing stand) on Amazon for £24 UK (includes delivery)
I though it might be a bit lightweight but once bolted up it's fairly substantial
This is it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco